Serene Lake Hike Difficulty ?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pdxJaxon

Serene Lake Hike Difficulty ?

Post by pdxJaxon » August 3rd, 2008, 9:52 am

I plan on hiking from Hideaway Lake to Serene Lake next weekend (Rock Lakes Basin Up near Mt Hood). I need to know how difficult \ challenging this is as I'm taking my 9 year old son for his 1st back packing trip and I dont want it to be miserable for him....

We can take our time, with lots of breaks etc.

Is this too much if he's carrying a backpack ?

Thanks

Greg Jackson
Tigard, OR
http://www.JaxonsGottaGun.com

Martell

Re: Serene Lake Hike Difficulty ?

Post by Martell » August 3rd, 2008, 11:46 am

It's not too difficult of a hike. You will pass a couple other good lakes on the way that you can camp at if you get tired (Shellrock Lake and Middle Rock Lake). I'm assuming you are starting at the trailhead near Shellrock Lake. It is a very easy hike to Shellrock, and the hardest part of the hike is probably the climb just after it. You could then hike towards Middle Rock Lake, and stay there if you were tired, or continue on towards Serene. There is also Lower Rock Lake (I might have this mixed up with Upper) that has a camping spot too. There might be quite a bit of mosquitos right now.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 3rd, 2008, 11:58 am

That's a place I haven't been. General ideas on hiking with kids: Keep it interesting--look for stuff along the trail. Kids are more interested in bugs and slugs and water and twisted trees than they are in views. Keep it fun. Don't hike on a schedule; stop for frequent "energy breaks" or just to check out a slug. Remember, the idea is to make it fun so the kids want to do it again and again!

Joan Burton in her "Best Hikes with Kids in Western Washingon" recommends making a "habitat" for kids consisting of two yards of lightweight mosquito netting. A kid can stay pretty bug-free with one of these draped over him, especially if he's wearing a hat. I tried this for my grandkids on an early July hike. My granddaughter, age 6, who normally starts screaming at the sight of any flying insect, really appreciated it!

pdxJaxon

Post by pdxJaxon » August 4th, 2008, 10:42 am

Awesome ideas you guys....thanks

Where to get mosquito netting ? REI ?

GAJ