Snowshoeing from Timberline Ldg to WhiteRiver Snopark

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
NancyY

Snowshoeing from Timberline Ldg to WhiteRiver Snopark

Post by NancyY » February 1st, 2024, 1:36 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to snowshoe from timberline lodge down to the White River Snowpark? I have searched for trail maps or notes and have not found any that show a trail connecting the two points. We plan to park a car up at the lodge snowpark and one at white river snowpark. If you have done it: any tips? distance? trail conditions? Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Snowshoeing from Timberline Ldg to WhiteRiver Snopark

Post by retired jerry » February 1st, 2024, 2:13 pm

about 4 miles, first on the PCT, then the Timberline trail down to white river, then along a ski trail to white river sno park

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » February 2nd, 2024, 5:06 am

Take the pct from the climbers lot downhill in the direction of white river. If there's no snow, you could easily continue east downhill on the 600 trail (aka round the mtn trail) to white river and then follow the river to the snow park. But you'll have lots of snow and that downhill section of trail is pretty hard because it's steep, tree covered, and you must side hill on likely slippery and solid snow.

I've found that it's better to cut over downhill to white river before you reach the 600 junction where there are no trees (not as steep, can see far). Or you could continue on the pct until you get very close to the area marked "white river sandpit" on some maps and then head east to the well traveled snowshoe and ski trails along white river.

It's not a popular route but it's a glorious one when its sunny with new snow. I've done it a few times and have never seen other tracks. Take avalanche hazards seriously and bring a gps so you stay on track in the woods. You' might find some blue ski trail markers as you get near the power line crossing in the woods.

With a car shuttle it should be a high fun to effort ratio because it'll be downhill all the way.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 5th, 2024, 7:14 am

There are two trail options once you get down to the PCT-Timberline junction. They are covered in this Field Guide entry (see the map):

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike

Charley

Post by Charley » February 5th, 2024, 10:57 pm

johnspeth wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 5:06 am
Take avalanche hazards seriously and bring a gps so you stay on track in the woods.

I haven't done this trip all in one go on snowshoes but I've skied much of it, and hiked all of it several times. There are two specific spots where you'll be in avalanche terrain and have some overhead hazard.

1. Right by the Timberline overflow parking lot, you'll pass through a gully with steep side walls in order to get onto the safe, mellow slopes of Boy Scout Ridge. I'm not sure but I don't think this gully is really avoidable.

2. At the base of Boy Scout Ridge, where the Timberline Trail drops onto the flats of White River Canyon, you'll be near a steep, untreed slope to the northwest. This slope is avoidable. If you follow the actual trail alignment, you'll be in safe trees. You may see ski tracks heading directly for that steeper, untreed slope, though; as johnspeth points out, this route is easier to see on the way down.

Red arrows indicate avalanche terrain on route:

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 10.42.41 PM.png

I recommend taking a look at the day's avalanche forecast, and deciding your level of risk tolerance before you drive up there and see how beautiful it is!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.