Paradise Park camping & side treks?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jett Powered

Paradise Park camping & side treks?

Post by Jett Powered » July 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Next week I'm headed out for an overnight trip from Timberline Lodge to the Paradise Park loop. I've not hiked in this area before and hope some of you will share your opinions and expertise on a couple things.

Does it matter if I do the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Are there any extra-fantastic camping spots I should aim for?
Should I consider venturing down any of the trails that intersect the PCT or 757?

Twelve miles is a good distance for me, but it isn't ridiculous to think I could end up hiking most of it in one day, passing by good camping spots, and wishing I had either slowed down or hiked down some connecting trails.

retired jerry

Re: Paradise Park camping & side treks?

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2023, 1:02 pm

If it's crowded, there are fewer people further from timberline. Side trails down from paradise park loop trail to various campsites

Take trails up from paradise Park loop trail for a side trek. Either the continuation of the paradise park trail or the one that's further that goes by split rock. You can get up to 7000 feet elevation, or keep going above Mississippi head to 8000 feet ( but be careful not to fall off cliff)

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 20th, 2023, 1:38 pm

One of my favorites, as Jerry mentioned, is to get up above Mississippi Head. But the snowfields up there might still be too big and steep for it. Likely doable if you have microspikes, though. It's a great return to Timberline vs. going back on the same trail, and the overall elevation gain is surprisingly not that much more than returning through Zigzag Canyon.

My favorite way to experience PP is to camp for two nights in the same spot and then do some day hiking during the middle day... usually going straight up the mountain from Split Rock up to around 7200' and then back down toward the Paradise Park/Paradise Park Loop trail junction. Paradise Park is like a big triangle... whether you start climbing at the north or south end of PP you end up at the same spot just north of Mississippi Head. You can also head over above the Paradise Branch at the north end of PP for some pretty sweet views. But if you are only doing one night... set up camp and then go as far up the mountain as you can for sunset.

The PCT beneath PP is just meh and I usually don't complete the official loop. It's pretty dense forest with nothing unique. But hey, just see it once before it eventually burns. :cry:

My favorite camp spot is here: 45.354983, -121.749317. I think it has the best views of any site at PP, both up the mountain and west toward Portland, and it's easy to off-trail to and from the PCT below. There are bigger and flatter spots elsewhere, but for one or two people this one is great.

Hopefully you are planning mid-week... all of these spots will be full by noon on Friday.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2023, 1:42 pm

same here - that exact spot - I've camped there many times - that spot is really nice and a bit away from anyone walking on any trail

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » July 20th, 2023, 2:00 pm

You guys are the best! I cannot thank you enough.

I'll be camping Wednesday night. It is always my goal to avoid the weekenders. :D

Do I need to worry about protecting my food? Do y'all carry bear or pepper spray when you hike this area?

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 20th, 2023, 2:38 pm

Protecting your food from the small critters is important in this area, they'll chew through your tent if they smell food in there.

I don't carry bear spray or worry about super bear-safe food storage at PP, or really anywhere else around Hood. I'd still hang stuff in a tree if able, but not worry too much about the height and distance from trunk requirements. I haven't ever seen a bear at PP... but I did see one this time of year, same elevation at Wy'East Basin. They could be around but they really want nothing to do with you and will act accordingly.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2023, 3:11 pm

ditto

I was camping one night at a spot a bit above the favorite spot. No tent. In the morning I saw bear prints about 100 feet away, on top of my prints from the previous day.

On another trip I was at split rock and saw a bear down below eating berries. I just let it be. Then, all of a sudden it sprinted off. Then I saw the humans that scared it. They hadn't even seen the bear.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 21st, 2023, 6:38 pm

The lower side of the loop is nothing special. It's okay, but the PP appeal is up high. Because of the way PP gets wedged between canyons, it's almost impossible to get lost. Ultimately, if you keep going up, you kinda get forced to a point where routes converge. That's a good stopping point. Continuing up Mississippi Head isn't really technical or strenuous, but maybe not best for a first-timer, especially when there's so much exploring to do through the PP area.

edit: bears don't attack humans, except in movies :D
Seriously, around here, bears are timid, unless you corner them, mess with their cubs, etc.