Recommendations for Books on "Best Day Hikes near Portland

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
westjetter

Recommendations for Books on "Best Day Hikes near Portland

Post by westjetter » August 31st, 2017, 8:35 pm

Looking for some books to order on great day/overnight hikes near Portland (OR 'must do" hikes near Portland )? A friend is moving there for 3 years to go to school and loves hiking. We live in Calgary and hike in Banff so he's used to intermediate / difficult hikes here. I'm hoping for some ideas from local experts that can point me in the right direction as far as book titles and what store I can order them from. I appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks

bghiker

Re: Recommendations for Books on "Best Day Hikes near Portla

Post by bghiker » August 31st, 2017, 9:09 pm

60 hikes within 60 miles is one of my favorites..

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 1st, 2017, 6:03 am

The "60 Hikes" book that bghiker mentioned is good. The most popular book for this area is 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington, by William Sullivan.

I also like One Night Wilderness: Portland: Quick and Convenient Backcountry Getaways within Three Hours of the City, by Doug Lorain. It gives good ideas for backpacking when all you have is a two-day weekend.

Any of these books can be ordered from Amazon or from our famous local bookstore Powell's.

I should add that this site has a pretty robust Field Guide with many hike descriptions.

Hope to hear from your friend on these forums! Hiking in Oregon is VERY different from hiking in your hiking neck of the woods, but there are many trails to explore. :D

westjetter

Post by westjetter » September 6th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the great book ideas! I've ordered them all!

Thanks, Susan