camping recommendations around Ollalie, Monon Lakes

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
teperilloux

camping recommendations around Ollalie, Monon Lakes

Post by teperilloux » August 9th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Fires changed eclipse plans and I'm looking to take in the spectacle in ollalie lakes area.

Outside of the NF campgrounds (I will not be able to make it there until Sunday, most likely they will be full), what lakeside (or as near as legal) off trail camping is available on Ollalie, Monon, Long, or Dark Lakes? And yes, I know the latter 2 are Warm spring lands.

No need to divulge your secret spot, just a gentle nudge in the right direction. Prefer lakeside, and yes, I know dispersed camping is allowed off NF roads... but I prefer near the water.

Thx

Aimless

Re: camping recommendations around Ollalie, Monon Lakes

Post by Aimless » August 9th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I know the latter 2 are Warm spring lands.

Long Lake and Dark Lake are definitely off-limits. Please respect the wishes of the Confederated Warm Springs Tribes and stay away from those lakes.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 9th, 2017, 3:23 pm

There is a bright yellow "No Trespassing" sign posted at the junction that leads on to Long Lake and Dark Lake. It is a violation of both Federal and Tribal Laws to continue past it.
There is a chance that access to Olallie will be restricted once the campgrounds fill. Don't count 100% on being able to get in. I have no idea how it would work at this point.

teperilloux

Post by teperilloux » August 9th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Thx for the heads up about the warm springs land.

I could see them closing parking surrounding the trailhead near Ollalie lake but how can they restrict access? There is no legal basis for it and besides, I'll just park on the forest road and walk by the restriction. There are a few ways into the basin, so worse case I'll just add elevation and take a different trail in.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 10th, 2017, 7:40 am

There are scores of campsites scattered around the various lakes. Almost every lake, big or small, has someplace to camp. Backpack in early, drop your pack in a central spot, and scout for a suitable pad. I'd go for some unnamed little lake off the trail somewhere. Others, of course, will have the same idea, and now there's going to be all those disappointed Jefferson Wilderness people.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 11th, 2017, 9:01 am

Because the Whitewater wildfire is within a few miles of Ollalie Lake Recreation Area and is burning in such rugged wilderness that the FS does not expect it to burn out until October when it is rainier and cooler, it just doesn't make sense to me to hang onto the idea that this is a great spot for eclipse viewing. Anything other than a strong breeze blowing the right direction and you'll be camping in a pall of smoke. But, hey, that's just my thinking on the subject. You could have a great time and a perfect view.