Hurwal Divide Over To Sacajawea Peak

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Born2BBrad

Hurwal Divide Over To Sacajawea Peak

Post by Born2BBrad » August 2nd, 2017, 11:47 am

Has anyone ever taken the route from Peak 9775 (in between Sacajawea Peak and the Matterhorn) across the Hurwal Divide over to Chief Joseph Mountain and down to Wallowa Lake, or the reverse course?

If so, can an experienced, in shape off-trail alpine ridge hiker do it? Can they do it safely without ropes? How much scrambling is there?
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Don Nelsen

Re: Hurwal Divide Over To Sacajawea Peak

Post by Don Nelsen » August 3rd, 2017, 9:47 am

Born2BBrad wrote:Has anyone ever taken the route from Peak 9775 (in between Sacajawea Peak and the Matterhorn) across the Hurwal Divide over to Chief Joseph Mountain and down to Wallowa Lake, or the reverse course?

If so, can an experienced, in shape off-trail alpine ridge hiker do it? Can they do it safely without ropes? How much scrambling is there?
I haven't done it but have thought about doing at least the HP of the divide - coincidentally also P 9775. Here is a photo I took from the summit of Sacajawea looking at the Hurwal divide (the ridge on the right) with Chief Joseph the high point on the horizon in line with the ridge in the foreground. I think you could get to Chief Joseph but getting back down to the lake from there without back tracking might be a problem.

Here's the view from P 9775 looking tward the Hurwal Divide from another trip. I judged it doable at the time but was out of time on that day.

Here's a summertime shot of the main ridge of the divide: Loose stuff, to be sure.

Hope to hear the details of your trip when you do it.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 3rd, 2017, 10:13 am

Brad -

If you look at Bond's Scramble #55 (Chief Joseph Mtn) you'll see that she has you climbing it starting from Thorp Creek, going up (seems like lots of loose stuff here?) to the ridge, and then following the Hurwal Divide north to Point Joseph (Chief Joseph Mountain itself is lower down on that ridge). I've hiked the divide east from Pt 9775 down to 9000' and it was straight forward. I'm guessing you could link from here to Bond's route without too much drama or any real rock climbing. You might have to do some steep downhill on loose stuff to go from the Point Joseph down to USFS Trail #1803, which will take you down to the state park. I estimate 21 mi with ~6,000' EG if you go up via Ice Lake. Could be fun; certainly an adventure.

Bruce

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 4th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the info. Now I just need someone to join me. Any takers for next week?
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports