Hiking/Backpacking in Northern CA and Southern OR

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tambli22

Hiking/Backpacking in Northern CA and Southern OR

Post by tambli22 » July 26th, 2017, 10:09 am

Hello! I'm a long time user of this message board but have been gone for a few years as my career took me to Montana. I will be on a temporary assignment in Northern California and am looking for some hiking/backpacking options for the late summer and fall. I'm particularly interested to know if people think the Trinity Alps are a good option for an early October backpacking trip and suggestions for a 35 to 45 mile route (loop preferable but not mandatory). I know timing varies year to year. Any help and/or feedback is greatly appreciated!

retired jerry

Re: Hiking/Backpacking in Northern CA and Southern OR

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2017, 11:03 am

I did a Trinity Alps loop November 1, 2014, for example

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Lake_Hike

Is a loop. That's 27 miles but you could easily make it bigger, like do the loop around Deer Lake, or extend it at Horseshoe Lake.

Many other trips possible, Trinity Alps are a huge area. There's a couple other ones in the field guide

I've been doing a Trinity Alps trip each year recently, either early or late in the season because Northern Ca is earlier and later than around Portland

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2017, 11:04 am

In the winter try Rogue River when higher areas are too snowy

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2017, 11:05 am

One other thing, look at Van Marmot's trip reports (and others too). Many hikes in Southern Oregon/Northern California.

tambli22

Post by tambli22 » August 7th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Thank you, Jerry. I will definitely plan on a fall backpacking trip to the Trinities.

drm

Post by drm » August 7th, 2017, 6:34 pm

A bit farther south but there would be options in Yosemite NP too, including lower areas that would be great in the fall. The North Rim trail, a trip dropping down into the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne should both work into early Fall. Some of these areas aren't necessarily all that crowded or popular either, as so many people aim for Cathedral or the high country camps.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 8th, 2017, 9:41 am

drm wrote:A bit farther south but there would be options in Yosemite NP too, including lower areas that would be great in the fall. The North Rim trail, a trip dropping down into the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne should both work into early Fall. Some of these areas aren't necessarily all that crowded or popular either, as so many people aim for Cathedral or the high country camps.
To add to this - you could consider the High Sierra Camp Loop in late Sep-early Oct (trip report). The camps themselves are closed then but each has backpacker campsites that are open until it snows.

The Rogue River Trail is also good (not too hot) in late Sep-early Oct and there's still water - either from the river or some larger tributaries. The shuttles are closed by then but you could do a long out-and-back from either end. The shorter (~30 mile) Wild Rogue Loop would also be good at that time.