In over my head? Timberline Hike.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
spitfire557

Re: In over my head? Timberline Hike.

Post by spitfire557 » August 3rd, 2017, 8:43 pm

Here in OR now and still trying to decide on a backpacking destination. We have discussed everything from Coastal hikes to Three Sisters to Mt. Hood. Mt. Hood still has the most interest but our time frame has shrunk to 2 days so the full Timberline Loop is most likely not possible.

My question for you folks: Is there any good 2 day/1 night options on Mt. Hood? Maybe doing half of the Timberline Loop (i.e. - Timberline Lodge to Dollar Lake, camp, then back)?

Thanks! Also, did the Saddle Mtn hike today. Despite the heat and smoke it was still a great time. Looking forward to more hiking.

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » August 3rd, 2017, 9:21 pm

Did some quick research here on the site. I'm thinking we will jump on the trail using the Ramona Falls trailhead and follow the trail clockwise. Go about 10-11 miles and camp in the Dollar Lake area. Wake up and backtrack to our car. It will be an easier hike but hopefully more enjoyable.

Anybody have any input on this section of the trail (Ramona Falls to Dollar Lake)?

drm

Post by drm » August 4th, 2017, 5:58 am

Great views at Dollar Puddle (it's very small). Gradual uphill gain, you will walk through the Dollar Lake burn but oddly that does not include the place it's named after. Because DP is small, the water gets kind of grungy so when I camp there I sometimes take a larger collapsible water container and fill it in the clear streams just after passing the Pinnacle Ridge trail junction. You only have to carry it for maybe a quarter mile and it's worth not having to use water from DP. There is a trail up Barrett Spur above for a side hike.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 4th, 2017, 6:04 am

spitfire557 wrote:I'm thinking we will jump on the trail using the Ramona Falls trailhead
Don't want to be a rumor-monger, but... I saw a post this morning indicating there's a 1/2-acre fire at that trailhead.

Maybe call the Zigzag Ranger Station (503.622.3191) before heading up there!

Really hoping what I saw was a false alarm...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 4th, 2017, 6:48 am

Nothing on MODIS or VIIRS at this time; I'm really hoping that's a false alarm too!

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » August 4th, 2017, 8:18 am

Appreciate the input, will call the Ranger Station today and report back. Thanks!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 4th, 2017, 10:27 am

Just saw another post from someone who did call, and ZZRS apparently said the fire is out, but the fire crews are still there "mopping up" and generally making sure things are as they should be. <whew!> (Remember: This is entirely hearsay! ;) )
Karl

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » August 4th, 2017, 11:54 am

I will still call just to make sure the trailhead will be open by Monday when we plan on going.

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » August 4th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Just talked to Zigzag ranger station. Fire is under control and no further issues as a result. She did mention a possible forest wide burn ban coming soon though.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 4th, 2017, 3:20 pm

spitfire557 wrote:Just talked to Zigzag ranger station. Fire is under control and no further issues as a result.
Wonderful news!
spitfire557 wrote:She did mention a possible forest wide burn ban coming soon though.
As always with MHNF, just in the nick of time. :roll:
Hope that crap blows out before you do! Have a great trip...
Karl