Multnomah Falls to Larch Mountain?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
klossner

Multnomah Falls to Larch Mountain?

Post by klossner » April 19th, 2017, 9:39 am

How far can I follow the trail from Multnomah Falls up along Multnomah Creek? When I tried it in January, I couldn't even reach the top of the falls.

squidvicious

Re: Multnomah Falls to Larch Mountain?

Post by squidvicious » April 19th, 2017, 11:38 am

I went up as far as the Multnomah Creek Way junction a couple days ago--stopped due to time, not snow. Virtually no snow at all along the trail. I heard it starts a little bit above that, but that it's easily walkable.

There is still snow on the switchbacks at the bottom--ie, past Dutchman Tunnel. You still have to cut the first couple and go straight up. This would be easier with either more or less snow, because where's it's melted out it's mud and loose rock and a bit of a pain. It's not really difficult, though, despite all the people I met just below there who tried to turn me back, warning of the "big snow bank" blocking the trail.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 19th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Folks have been making it all the way during the last week. Solid snow above that junction that cuts out to the road, but apparently "microspikes optional" conditions.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 2nd, 2017, 4:14 pm

I have a tradition of doing this hike on my birthday, which is next weekend. I don't mind walking on snow but I wouldn't want to do a lot of postholing; does anyone know if that will be an issue? squidvicious said "easily walkable," so I'm guessing no but wanted to be prepared.

BTW, I went as far as the Franklin Ridge Trail two days ago and the snow at Dutchman's Tunnel was no longer an issue. The creek that flows across the trail just before the high water trail was nearly as full as a couple months ago, but someone had laid some branches across it to make a dry crossing much easier.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Peder

Post by Peder » May 2nd, 2017, 8:10 pm

Ten days ago snow started at 2,800' and microspikes were not a must.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 7th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I went all the way to the top today. I saw brief patches of snow starting at about 3200 feet, and from 3700 feet the snow was constant, averaging about a foot deep with some drifts of 4-5 feet toward the top. The parking lot was covered in about 4 feet of snow, and the path from the parking lot to Sherrard Point had some deep, undulating drifts, but the stairs and the lookout platform were completely clear.

The snow was hard-packed and not difficult to walk on with hiking boots, although it wasn't super easy to follow the trail in spots, because previous boot tracks didn't sink in much, and a layer of pine needles further obscured them. It wasn't a problem, I just had to pay more attention than usual to stay on track.
IMG_1913.JPG
The last mile was extra pretty in the snow.
IMG_1917.jpg
Interesting how the snow was melted around each tree.
IMG_1924.JPG
Doesn't look like the road will be open for a while.
IMG_1925.JPG
The snow melted out around the pay station, too.
IMG_1926.jpg
From the parking lot to the lookout was a little sketchy. Coming directly over the top from the main trail was better.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)