trailhead access at Bonneville Hot Springs

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Andesite

trailhead access at Bonneville Hot Springs

Post by Andesite » November 22nd, 2016, 1:41 pm

I just read in the O that Bonneville Hot Springs is closing and re-opening as a rehab facility. Does anyone know how trailhead access from the parking lot will be impacted?

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... ncart_2box

Crusak

Re: trailhead access at Bonneville Hot Springs

Post by Crusak » November 22nd, 2016, 3:04 pm

I'm wondering if it will be a good idea to use that spot as a trailhead, if they allow it.

It doesn't seem wise to park your car in an area with a high concentration of patients being treated for substance abuse and mental health issues. Most car clouts are committed by people looking for easy things to steal & sell to buy drugs. :cry:

I recall another thread that discussed this topic, but I don't remember if anyone had an answer.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm

Crusak wrote: It doesn't seem wise to park your car in an area with a high concentration of patients being treated for substance abuse and mental health issues. Most car clouts are committed by people looking for easy things to steal & sell to buy drugs.
...most of whom probably aren't in a high end treatment facility? That's a pretty stereotyping and stigmatizing thing to say (isn't there any empathy left these days?), not to mention its logical problems: people seeking treatment probably aren't walking around trying to buy drugs (nor breaking into cars at their own facility to do so); people in a high end facility probably don't need to steal to buy drugs in the first place; etc. Surely your car is much safer in the parking lot of an addiction treatment facility than at a random trailhead in the Gorge.

On a more reasonable note, it's much more likely that the parking will be closed due to it being private property and the facility not wanting to have strangers wandering around. I'm not sure that the other threads discussing this have come to any sort of conclusion (isn't this sale still speculative?), but I believe you can still park at the bottom of the Aldrich Butte TH just off the road (at the bridge, not up on the hill where people used to park), or else you can advocate for the county or whoever to get an easement from that private landowner who doesn't want people driving across his strip of private property...

Otherwise, the actual Bonneville TH is still an option if you're willing to put up with a longer hike.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2016, 3:26 pm

recent TV story - it's a done deal

Yeah, there's other parking near by

I bet in the next couple months there will be reports from hikers. Tough to know until the change of ownership just what the situation will be. Also when will they start operating.

Going along with the thread de-rail, I think a rehab facility would be safe, active drug users would try to avoid that area :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm

http://koin.com/2016/11/21/bonneville-h ... -facility/

resort closes Dec 18, you can still go to Carson Hot Spring

Foundations Recovery Network opens sometime next year

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 22nd, 2016, 4:36 pm

Bosterson wrote:
Crusak wrote: It doesn't seem wise to park your car in an area with a high concentration of patients being treated for substance abuse and mental health issues. Most car clouts are committed by people looking for easy things to steal & sell to buy drugs.
...most of whom probably aren't in a high end treatment facility? That's a pretty stereotyping and stigmatizing thing to say (isn't there any empathy left these days?), not to mention its logical problems: people seeking treatment probably aren't walking around trying to buy drugs (nor breaking into cars at their own facility to do so); people in a high end facility probably don't need to steal to buy drugs in the first place; etc. Surely your car is much safer in the parking lot of an addiction treatment facility than at a random trailhead in the Gorge.
I admit that my post was less than empathetic toward people who are seeking treatment. My thought was that people sometimes relapse and fall off the wagon, so to speak. I guess I've become a little jaded after working for a law enforcement agency for nearly 18 years. I didn't mean to come off so callused. Our county has a great drug court program that's helped a lot of people get back on their feet.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 23rd, 2016, 4:13 am

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 23rd, 2016, 10:00 am

This thread is being locked so that discussion can continue at the original topic: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 69#p188269
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased