Export OregonHikers Map?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
bobshasta

Export OregonHikers Map?

Post by bobshasta » November 14th, 2016, 9:32 am

Hi, I'm looking to export the data points in a standard format to both/either my Garmin GPSmap60csx or a custom Google map I created to save the locations that I've found edible mushrooms (also considering Gaia). The main goal is to download to a device then use them away from a data connection and cross reference with other trail information. I'm particularly looking for Tilamook State forest trailheads because the the info I have shows trails, but not the trailhead location coordinates. I also am using some quads and compass, but I'm frequently off trail and, being a bit of gear-head, I like to have lots of tools!

Seems that this topic has been explored here already, but I can't seem to find it by searching. A link to the thread would be fine, but additional guidance would be much appreciated.

Martell

Re: Export OregonHikers Map?

Post by Martell » November 14th, 2016, 11:45 am

Would this help?
http://www.oregonhikers.org/export/expo ... output=gpx

Also, just as a general warning: If you are planning to rely on any of these waypoints, be sure to double check with another source. We've had errors reported/fixed in the past
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 14th, 2016, 8:42 pm

I saved that data and tried to import it into Google Earth but it did not work. Is a KML export possible?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 14th, 2016, 8:52 pm

You can use GPS Visualizer to convert it to KML: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

Oh, and Martell: the <xml> tag at the beginning is missing its question marks. It should be:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 14th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Adam, that's the first thing I tried but the site said something about "no GPS data found?" Now it seems to have worked. Thanks again for the great utility.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 14th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Webfoot wrote:Adam, that's the first thing I tried but the site said something about "no GPS data found?" Now it seems to have worked. Thanks again for the great utility.
Yeah... a few minutes after I posted my response on here, I put in a small fix to allow for incorrect <xml> tags like the one coming out of the OH "export" program. So it makes sense that it didn't work at first, then worked later. (I try to make GPS Visualizer as tolerant as possible of goofy data.)

bobshasta

Post by bobshasta » November 15th, 2016, 9:22 am

Thanks, what do I do with that link? It looks like a list of names so I'm guessing they have some coordinates embedded somehow for each waypoint? I tried opening it in the GPS visualizer but gent seem to move on from that error message. Step by step help would be most appreciated

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 15th, 2016, 10:00 am

bobshasta wrote:Thanks, what do I do with that link? It looks like a list of names so I'm guessing they have some coordinates embedded somehow for each waypoint? I tried opening it in the GPS visualizer but gent seem to move on from that error message. Step by step help would be most appreciated
Right-click on Martell's link and save it directly as "something.gpx". If you view it in a browser, it won't look like anything useful.

Martell

Post by Martell » November 15th, 2016, 12:36 pm

That error in the XML tag is fixed- thanks.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Guy

Post by Guy » November 15th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Ha! thats pretty cool, Thanks.

Dropped the whole thing into a Cal Top Map. Slow as molasses with that much information but it does work!

https://caltopo.com/m/B0M4
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors