Lake Fishing in Eagle Cap Wilderness - Recommendations?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
gocougs_256

Lake Fishing in Eagle Cap Wilderness - Recommendations?

Post by gocougs_256 » September 22nd, 2016, 12:35 am

I'm doing a solo trek into the eagle cap wilderness this weekend. Thinking about bringing a traditional rod with me to do some lake fishing. Does anyone know what lakes have good fishing or personal experiences with setups, bait, etc.

Water

Re: Lake Fishing in Eagle Cap Wilderness - Recommendations?

Post by Water » September 22nd, 2016, 1:11 pm

mirror lake, moccasin lake, lee lake, all have brook trout I think. I've also caught little ones in east and west fork lostine river.

I tend to use a spinner or else a slip bobber above a dry fly or a nymph. Alpine trout are starved for food and seem like they'll eat anything, they're often eel shaped with big heads that taper down to the tail--they don't get stocky, especially in Blue Lake. Though I have heard Minam lake may hold bigger fish due to its size and depth, I think I read about some lunkers caught there, those might take a little more fishing finesse.

Ice Lake also has some big fish from what I've seen but I did not have luck getting any of the monsters there, just smaller ones.
Feel Free to Feel Free

jimmywells

Re: Lake Fishing in Eagle Cap Wilderness - Recommendations?

Post by jimmywells » September 24th, 2016, 1:39 pm

I've been to perhaps a dozen of the high lakes in the Eagle Caps, many of them this year and fishing has been one of my main objectives. Most of the lakes I've fished have had small-decent sized brookies. Ice Lake is one of my favorites for both scenery and bigger fish. My dad caught one in there in August that was easily 17-18 inches, and he lost one bigger than that. Mostly though they are 8-12 inches. Frances Lake has some huge fish, but they are very tough to catch. Being that I've been successful fly fishing, you should also have success on spinners to.