Backpacking/Camping on the Coast?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mbackpackn

Re: Backpacking/Camping on the Coast?

Post by mbackpackn » July 27th, 2016, 8:47 am

CampinCarl wrote:Many Oregon State Parks have hiker/biker camping, $5 per person/ per night. I'm not sure how popular they are on the coast, but they are walk-up, no reservation only. The idea being, park in town, hike the Oregon Coast trail to the nearest state park, hike back when done. That said, Oregon State Parks won't be as secluded as wilderness like the Olympic Peninsula. In general, the further south along the Oregon coast you go, the less crowds.

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/BIKE/Pages/hiker_biker.aspx

One idea that I have, although I haven't been there, is the Oregon Dunes- the only bummer is that it's about 3.5 hours from Portland.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... reati.html
I'm thinking hiker/biker campgrounds are what I'm looking for and I've found two spots that appear to be first come/first serve. What do you think the odds are of them being full? Any experience walking up on them during the Summer?

I've also heard the Dunes have lots of ATV's. Not exactly desirable

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 27th, 2016, 5:00 pm

mbackpackn wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:Many Oregon State Parks have hiker/biker camping, $5 per person/ per night. I'm not sure how popular they are on the coast, but they are walk-up, no reservation only. The idea being, park in town, hike the Oregon Coast trail to the nearest state park, hike back when done. That said, Oregon State Parks won't be as secluded as wilderness like the Olympic Peninsula. In general, the further south along the Oregon coast you go, the less crowds.

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/BIKE/Pages/hiker_biker.aspx

One idea that I have, although I haven't been there, is the Oregon Dunes- the only bummer is that it's about 3.5 hours from Portland.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... reati.html
I'm thinking hiker/biker campgrounds are what I'm looking for and I've found two spots that appear to be first come/first serve. What do you think the odds are of them being full? Any experience walking up on them during the Summer?

I've also heard the Dunes have lots of ATV's. Not exactly desirable
Nah, not a lot of OHVs at all from my experience, at least not near the hiking areas. the riding & hiking areas are somewhat separate from one another. Amazing place the dunes are. Well worth it

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » July 28th, 2016, 6:33 am

Thanks for the beta, Q. I have only read about the area in my many guidebooks ;) Good to know there are quiet areas to be found away from the OHVs.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 28th, 2016, 6:41 am

How about camping on Bayocean Spit? At first glance it seems that you cannot camp at the trail head but that camping on be beach is (if not legal, then at least) accepted.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Charley

Post by Charley » July 28th, 2016, 10:59 am

Peder wrote:How about camping on Bayocean Spit? At first glance it seems that you cannot camp at the trail head but that camping on be beach is (if not legal, then at least) accepted.
Bayocean Spit is open to camping. I've camped there several times. It's quiet and, even on busy weekends, if you're up to the north of the Spit, on the beach, it's not too crowded. If I recall correctly, it's perfectly legal to camp on our beaches, one just needs to camp out of sight of anyone's house or urban areas. That doesn't leave a very large percentage of the mileage of the oceanfront, but considering how much mileage there is, it's still a large number of places.

Here are some photos:
beach588.jpg
beach597.jpg
beach623.jpg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 28th, 2016, 6:36 pm

CampinCarl wrote:Thanks for the beta, Q. I have only read about the area in my many guidebooks ;) Good to know there are quiet areas to be found away from the OHVs.
Yep, there are wonderful quiet areas at the dunes for sure. Here is how I spent 2 days last thanksgiving:

Day 1... Tahkenitch dunes, Pacific ocean, threemile lake via tahkenitch dunes trail, the beach, threemile lake trail loop

Day 2... Umpqua dunes, Pacific ocean via John dellenback dunes trail, the beach

Great whale watching from shore too

Soooo good :mrgreen:

mbackpackn

Post by mbackpackn » July 29th, 2016, 9:08 am

Charley wrote:
Peder wrote:How about camping on Bayocean Spit? At first glance it seems that you cannot camp at the trail head but that camping on be beach is (if not legal, then at least) accepted.
Bayocean Spit is open to camping. I've camped there several times. It's quiet and, even on busy weekends, if you're up to the north of the Spit, on the beach, it's not too crowded. If I recall correctly, it's perfectly legal to camp on our beaches, one just needs to camp out of sight of anyone's house or urban areas. That doesn't leave a very large percentage of the mileage of the oceanfront, but considering how much mileage there is, it's still a large number of places.

Here are some photos:
beach588.jpg
beach597.jpg
Good sources around to pull drinking water from with a filter?
beach623.jpg

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » August 2nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

My husband and I have camped several times at Bay Ocean Spit. You have to pack in all your own water, so it's typically a one night trip!

mbackpackn

Post by mbackpackn » August 3rd, 2016, 4:24 pm

I can't thank all of you enough for the suggestions. I can't really top those photos already posted though but it is that amazing. We did find one fresh water source down on the SW part of the peninsula, but it was a long haul from most camping. We camped on the beach, up on a hill, which gave great lookout and we had a camp spot that seemed to be occupied before. Camping was easy access and choosing; free camping with no fees; lots of driftwood to burn. Had to hike in our drinking water, which went dry every 2 days or so. The sun got hot by 10am forcing you out of the tent. Beautiful and sunny all day and you HAD to wear a lot of sunblock. I in particular got my calves fried the first day, which wasn't fun the rest of the week. NO shade on the beach though; factor that in or muscle in some kind of pop up canopy. Lots of good walks and trails in the middle of the peninsula and TONS of berries to pick and eat, especially on the Eastern end. The weather patterns were about the same every day. Hot all day, got windy around 6pm (so windy one night we didn't even attempt a fire), clouds roll in at sunset blocking any views of stars unfortunately. Although we did see some deer, the threat of wild animals and having to bear box or string your food was never a concern, and I've spent a lot of time outside in those conditions where it was a concern. Seriously, not even birds or chipmunks wanting food scraps. Totally left alone.

Only saw two other tents on the entire beach the first night, one the next, one the next after that. It was basically like having an entire beach to ourselves! I completely suggest this place for camping but don't give away the secret to TOO many ;) Be respectful and hike out your trash, and I would imagine officials will allow it to stay as it is.

In return, I have much experience with Washington hikes and camping if you ever want advice. DM me if so.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 3rd, 2016, 6:41 pm

mbackpackn wrote:Only saw two other tents on the entire beach the first night, one the next, one the next after that. It was basically like having an entire beach to ourselves! I completely suggest this place for camping but don't give away the secret to TOO many ;)
I'll delete my posts here if you do.... :)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2