Road conditions on east side of Badger Creek Wilderness?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
TodF

Road conditions on east side of Badger Creek Wilderness?

Post by TodF » May 27th, 2016, 5:39 pm

I'm planning to backpack the east side of Badger Creek Wilderness (School Canyon up to Flag Point or thereabouts), and I'm wondering if anyone has been over there this spring who can tell me how road conditions are. I was thinking about taking 197 to FS27.

Thanks!

mattisnotfrench

Re: Road conditions on east side of Badger Creek Wilderness?

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 29th, 2016, 3:15 pm

I haven't been there in a couple years but if you're going to School Canyon from Tygh Valley those are all good roads. I can't speak for this year but I'd be surprised if the road was anything less than excellent. Stay on the main roads, though; once you get off the through-roads a lot of the side roads have bad spots.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2016, 6:41 am

I went to Badger Creek from the other side, Wamic, and that was fine. There were people coming from the other side so that road must be okay too.

Wasn't there a School Canyon trip report recently?

I'm pretty sure you could just drive there without further research.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 30th, 2016, 10:47 am

I was just there last weekend all the roads are fine. FR27 is clear although there was a landslide halfway up towards Friend that left some large debris on the road and left exposed a hanging boulder precariously hanging on to the hillside. The debris was navigable by car.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

TodF

Post by TodF » May 31st, 2016, 7:07 am

Thanks, everyone. I went in on 197/Friend Road/2720/27 and out on 27 to 197. As Koda said, there is one landslide on 27 north of School Canyon TH, but nothing my Civic had trouble with. Taking 27 all the way to 197 involved more time on gravel, I think.

One note for anyone relying on GPS to get to the trailheads over there: download road maps before you go! I got little to no cell service (Verizon) starting a few miles south of The Dalles on 197.