Wauna West (which ridge takes me from powerlines to Wauna?)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Chip Down

Wauna West (which ridge takes me from powerlines to Wauna?)

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Is it one of the faint ridges running north/south, just barely to the west of Wauna?
Or is it the big broad ridge that runs east/west?
In the pic below, do I leave the powerline road at A or B?
Hesitated to post this because I'm a figure-out-your-own-damn-route kind of guy, but this will be an add-on hike when I'm in the area, so time will be stretched tight.

Any other helpful hints appreciated, if there's anything else I should know.
Attachments
WaunaGE.jpg

Peder

Re: Wauna West (which ridge takes me from powerlines to Waun

Post by Peder » May 27th, 2016, 6:09 pm

From B you can follow a ridge up - I think there is a faint trail now (and the first bit is a road as I recall). Obviously, you can also follow the FS trails all the way to Wauna Point.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Thanks Peder! Do you remember a pic in a TR by Guy (I think) of you standing on a viewpoint below the diving board? That spot was one of the highlights of my Wauna to Wauna hike last weekend, especially because it was a rare dry moment. Going back Monday to try a couple off-trail variants (although actually that beast of a "trail" probably counts as off-trail).

Peder

Post by Peder » May 28th, 2016, 7:47 am

Chip - You must be thinking of this TR. That was a fun day out with Guy (as always!).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 31st, 2016, 5:51 am

What a confusing mishmash of road and trails we have around that three-way powerline junction! A guy almost needs a recon hike to figure out how to find the damn trail!

Following the powerlines up to the south until reaching the ridgecrest would be daunting. It's steep, and there's no road. So I took my chances on a road heading south, just east of the three-way powerline junction. It curved under the powerlines and continued south. A neglected spur road took me up to Point B, and from here the trail was obvious. There was also evidence of the trail lower, but faint, and basically switchback shortcuts (not really necessary; the road was steep enough that I never found myself wishing for a more direct route). I didn't have any sense that this would be fruitful, but when I arrived at Point B, I knew I had it made.

Details will follow in my epic wauna-to-wauna-to-wauna TR, when I have the strength to write it up.

Incidentally, at the top of this trail, what was the heavily-traveled trail I eventually ran into? Is it really the Wauna Point trail, or is it the Tanner trail? [nevermind; looking at the map, it's obvious it has to be the Wauna trail]

Here's a rough schematic of the roads, and of course the trail continues east from Point B:
Attachments
WaunaGE.jpg

Peder

Post by Peder » May 31st, 2016, 8:40 am

So I am just waiting for the TR! :D

northridge

Post by northridge » May 31st, 2016, 4:55 pm

The standard access to the ridge you are talking about is to take a spur road off of the 777 and just head up to the tower and pick up the faint trail there. Sounds like that is what you did. As you say, it is a steep spur road and a nice conditioner from there all the way up. Generally the path of least resistance will run you into the 401D.

The ridge is the red segment below, with the official trails in the area shown for context. As with most ridges in the gorge, the navigation is easier going up. With that said, it is still off-trail travel and brushy higher up, so all the usual disclaimers apply.

Last edited by northridge on July 30th, 2017, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 31st, 2016, 8:55 pm

Northridge: Fantastic resource! Thanks. Kinda wish I had it when I set out, but it all ended well, and the mystery was nice.

Peder: I think you'll like it. It's an epic tale of rain and sun, ticks and mosquitoes, scrapes and cuts and bruises, getting lost, getting found, hardship and suffering and fear and joy and victory, all over the course of two days. And there was cold beer! :D