what's the trail headed east from Buck Point?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Chip Down

what's the trail headed east from Buck Point?

Post by Chip Down » April 30th, 2016, 7:06 pm

If you're going up Ruckel Ridge from Eagle Creek, you'll hike up to Buck Point from the campground, pass below the powerlines at Buck Point, continue up briefly, and then dip slightly before entering the mossy talus field. Between the power lines and the dip (which is a very short section, maybe less than 100 yards) there's a faint trail headed east.

The gorge has a bazillion game trails and user trails, but this one caught my attention because it was once maintained. Sawcuts are evident on blowdown and brush. Does it go anywhere interesting? What was its designation and history? If nobody knows, I may have to investigate, but my list is already pretty long, and there are only so many weekends. Maybe one of you retired folks can go check it out?
Attachments
IMG_20160430_064841729.jpg
In case my written description was a bit too vague, this picture might help spark your memory.

Don Nelsen

Re: what's the trail headed east from Buck Point?

Post by Don Nelsen » May 1st, 2016, 7:14 am

I checked it out 9 or 10 years ago and it just ends in about 700' with no trace of continuation that I could find.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: what's the trail headed east from Buck Point?

Post by Chip Down » May 1st, 2016, 11:18 pm

I explored a little yesterday but decided I couldn't spare the time, and since I came down Ruckle Creek I couldn't do it on the way down.
Today I went up Rudolph Spur and down Ruckle Ridge. Still didn't really have time, but at Buck Point decided I had to know. A few feet up the trail it occurred to me I could look for responses to this thread. Was thrilled to see an authoritative answer posted. Maybe only saved me a few minutes, but considering I got back at my car about 5 minutes from mandatory-headlamp time, it was actually quite beneficial. Thanks Don.