Indian Heaven campsites?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
NW Yeti

Indian Heaven campsites?

Post by NW Yeti » July 3rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

My girl-friend and I decided to postpone our Wallowas week of backpacking next week because of high temps of 95+ for several days, so we are now going to backpack Indian Heaven via the PCT. I'm super anxious to explore the myriads of lakes and streams. I've never been up there but by reading multiple TRs, I thought if we started at the Thomas Lake TH and hiked a clockwise loop to the Indian Racetrack, we might get some cool mileages and views. Do any of you know of some good campsites? And does the Lava Caves TH lead to any cool caves? I just purchased a map of Indian Heaven from REI today and now I can't wait to get up there! And will we need bear bags? Thanks!!!
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

Peder

Re: Indian Heaven campsites?

Post by Peder » July 3rd, 2015, 9:40 pm

I hear that there were plenty of bugs in Indian Heaven this Tuesday & Wednesday - just so that you are warned! Not all girl-friends find mosquitoes and biting flies romantic.

The bugs will not keep me from a Sunday visit there...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

NW Yeti

Re: Indian Heaven campsites?

Post by NW Yeti » July 3rd, 2015, 10:44 pm

:) LOL. Thanks Peder! That was written correctly: girl - (dash)friend. I'm not too much into the romantic thing but I will shower with Deet. Thanks for the warning.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!