Goat Rocks: Goat Lake - Snowgrass Flat 8/25-8/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Goat Rocks: Goat Lake - Snowgrass Flat 8/25-8/26

Post by awildman » August 28th, 2010, 7:54 am

We can't compete with Jonathan Ley's most excellent goat video (ok, some nice waterfalls and mountain shots, too) in his recent post on the Goat Rocks, but two other Portland Hikers and I did a quick overnight on Wednesday to take advantage of what appeared to be the last of the Really Great Weather.

TunaMac (+ Inga, the world’s best backpacking huskie), bmay and I arranged to meet at 7 AM on Wednesday morning for the 3-hour drive north. We were hiking on the dusty but relatively lonesome Goat Ridge Trail by 10:30 AM under flawless blue skies. The rough plan for the two-day trip was to hike from the Snowgrass trailhead, up the Goat Ridge Trail to Goat Lake (where we would do some goat scoping), spend the night, and then return to the trailhead via the Snowgrass Trail. We ended up camping below Goat Lake in a more secluded campsite next to a small stream that leased epic views of the basin and surrounding peaks.

Jordan Basin and the Goat Ridge Trail

flowers along the Goat Ridge Trail

The wildflowers on the route were astoundingly beautiful. Carpets of lupine, indian paintbrush, beargrass, bistort, heather, monkeyflower, penstemon... The basins and drainages were literally bursting with color and scent. My photos don't do the area any justice, but TunaMac had a very fancy camera with him so maybe with some gentle cajoling he will post some as well.

Quintessential jaw-dropping mountain vistas presented themselves every time we turned our heads. It has been a strange season in the mountains with the long, cold spring; everything is blooming late and simultaneously. I mean, beargrass blooms at the end of August???

climbing the Goat Ridge Trail out of Jordan Basin

Goat Rocks

monkeyflower and the Goat Rocks

Mt. Adams

After a couple hours of hiking/stopping to gawk at the scenery, we came to Goat Lake and settled in for a hour or so to watch for goats on the ridge above the lake. We were rewarded for our patience when half a dozen goats made their way along the top of the ridge. They looked like very small white specks on the hillside, but were fun to observe through my 200mm camera lens. One large goat steadily made his way down the steep slope to a patch of snow and promptly flopped down and rolled around in it for a good 20 minutes to cool off.

goat

Goat Lake

TunaMac chillaxin' at Goat Lake

Goat Lake waters

We started heading down to the Snowgrass Trail around 3PM to look for a suitable campsite for the night. We found a nice site that could accommodate three tents that had perfect views, thousands of wildflowers, and the soothing nighttime rush of a creek. The flies were still fairly aggressive, but they didn't prevent us from lounging in the shade and soaking up the views. We enjoyed a very leisurely afternoon around camp, reading, napping, and photographing the flowers and views.

leaving Goat Lake

Mt. Adams and our campsite (just above the scree field)

on paper and in real life

kicking it in the shade

tons of lupine and paintbrush

beargrass flowers with purple centers

Mt. Adams at sunset, helped with a layer of forest fire haze

We woke to blue skies but a brisk wind soon brought cool temperatures and dark gray clouds. By the time we were packed up and heading back on the Snowgrass Trail, the sky was matte grey and I was wearing three layers of clothes.

camp

TunaMac's dog

Goat Lake in the background

trailside flowers

Hiking out on the Snowgrass Trail, we ran into at least six groups of backpackers who were heading up for the weekend. We also ran into the only wilderness ranger for the district, David W., who was headed up to stake out a camp for an SEA trail crew. He was probably the nicest field ranger I have ever met. He stopped to chat with us for about 15 minutes and told us about how he had to dig up and bury at least 40 trailside feces latrines the last time he came through the area. [shock, horror!]

He also clarified where the restricted area for Snowgrass Flat camping was actually located. I apparently don't have the "modern" map, which has more detailed information, but TunaMac was confused by the markings on his more up-to-date map, too. As it turns out, camping is prohibited at the headwaters of the creek, not in the flattish part north of the trail that enters the flats. All those people you see camping in the trees? All legit. But here's a tip: if you walk 15 minutes north on the Goat Ridge Trail, you'll have more solitude, better views, and better access to water.

Except for the annoying deerflies, an almost perfect one-nighter.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

TunaMac

Re: Goat Rocks: Goat Lake - Snowgrass Flat 8/25-8/26

Post by TunaMac » August 28th, 2010, 8:58 am

Thanks for putting this trip together, awildman! It was just about the perfect overnighter. I could have done with a few less bugs, but a minor complaint when the weather, scenery, and company are so enjoyable :) I'm looking forward to getting together for another trip!

Since your pictures are so good, I'm only going to include a few:
Attachments
Goat Rocks (18 of 151).jpg
Happy Inga on the trail.
Goat Rocks (129 of 151).jpg
Heading out. . .all good things must come to an end.
Goat Rocks (116 of 151).jpg
Goat Rocks (110 of 151).jpg
Our watering hole
Goat Rocks (96 of 151).jpg
Nap time in camp
Goat Rocks (92 of 151).jpg
Beargrass in Black and White
Goat Rocks (84 of 151).jpg
Beargrass
Goat Rocks (80 of 151)-2.jpg
Self portrait
Goat Rocks (54 of 151).jpg
awildman doing her impression of a mountain goat :)
Goat Rocks (36 of 151).jpg
Goat Rocks (32 of 151).jpg
Wildflowers

obladi

Post by obladi » August 28th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Great picts. Thanx for sharing. I think the Goat Rocks area is one of the most awesome spots for wildflowers when the timing is right. Glad you enjoyed the visit!
Luke

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

http://home.comcast.net/~l.danielson/nw ... iking.html

bmay

Post by bmay » August 29th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Thanks, you two, for sharing the photos, and for the great company and hike!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » August 29th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Great stuff guys! These Goat Rocks reports are off the charts :-)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 30th, 2010, 9:08 am

Great pictures, great weather. What a great place to sepnd a weekend.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 31st, 2010, 1:25 am

Hey, that was my campsite last year! That one's a dandy, isn't it? From that campsite I was lucky enough to see a herd of elk make their way down from the high country one morning. They passed really close to my camp:

Great report and photos. Looks like you guys had a ton of fun.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » September 2nd, 2010, 10:22 am

Amazing photos!

How physically difficult is the elevation gain? long and gentle, short and steep, or long and steep?

I really want to see a mountain goat this year but unfortunately my physical abilities are not what it used to be.

awildman

Post by awildman » September 2nd, 2010, 11:58 am

baker9903 wrote:How physically difficult is the elevation gain? long and gentle, short and steep, or long and steep?
Chime in here boys, but I would say that the first 3 miles of the Goat Ridge Trail are moderate, then a gentle traverse, then the last push to the pass at the head of Jordan Basin is short but steep.

The trail from the pass to Goat Lake is essentially downhill to Snowgrass Flat (there are a few short "up" sections).

I haven't hiked in via Snowgrass since the late 90's, but it seems like it's a more gentle approach. It's definitely more crowded.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » September 2nd, 2010, 12:52 pm

Thank you, this is very helpful. I think I can handle it, albeit very very slowly. I really want to see a mountain goat before I leave Oregon. I'll be 31 weeks pregnant when I tackle this next weekend so I've slowed down considerably and get winded easily. I've done other hikes recently though, so I think i'll be okay. Although much longer, it can't be much harder/steeper than hiking from Timberline to Silcox (which I managed to do on Tuesday - go me:)

Your trip really was beautiful. Thank you for the eye candy and inspiration to get out there myself.