Another Boring Stroll (Gabbert Butte and Hogan Butte, 2/10/24)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
datura

Another Boring Stroll (Gabbert Butte and Hogan Butte, 2/10/24)

Post by datura » February 12th, 2024, 1:40 pm

Boring lava field, that is. I've slowly been visiting the trails scattered around on open spaces in the Boring Lava Field in the Portland Metro area. Most of them are well-described in various trip reports by other people. This one hasn't been, or at least hasn't been for several years, and thus my short report on a short walk.

Saturday was sunny and warm and I was already in the area, so I decided to check out Gabbert Butte, part of the East Buttes area of old volcanic centers near Gresham. There's a nice little Metro Nature Park on the upper slopes above the subdivisions, with a short loop trail of roughly a mile or so to explore. It connects to other trails in the region, as one can see from the loop described in the Field Guide, but I didn't have enough time to do anything too long.

2024 gabbert butte trail sign.jpg
trail signage

The Gabbert Loop Trail is in good shape -- it's been mowed/trimmmed, there's almost no blowdown to contend with even after the January storms, and it's only a bit muddy in spots. (I suspect it is a lot muddier during wet weather.) The trail undulates up and down on a dirt path that seems to follow old logging roads through an attractive second-growth forest, no long-ranging views but the forest is nice. There are a few large trees and a lot of medium-sized trees, mostly (as far as I can tell) the usual mix of Douglas fir, bigleaf maple, and western red cedar. Ivy, blackberries, holly, and other invasives were minimal. Traffic noise was usually audible, so don't expect anything too wild-feeling.

2024 gabbert butte cedars along trail.jpg
cedars along the loop trail
2024 gabbert butte cedars along trail.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
2024 gabbert butte backlit trees.jpg
typical trail view

Near the top of the loop is the Gabbert Water Reservoir, at the junction with the connector trail that goes towards Gresham Butte. I went along the connector trail as far as the abandoned vehicle, then looped back to the water tower and then back to the car.

2024 gabbert butte abandoned vehicle.jpg
deep thoughts in the deep woods

Although the signs say that dogs aren't allowed, people don't seem to pay much attention. The dogs I met on the trail were all leashed, at least. There weren't a lot of people on the trail, all considered (i.e., midday on a sunny winter weekend) so on the whole this was a pleasant short neighborhood-ish walk that is worth doing if you're in the area. The Master Plan for the area says that more trails are being planned including more connectors to other trails in the East Buttes and beyond. I look forward to that.

2024 gabbert butte backlit trees 2.jpg
backlit trees with moss and ferns and contrail

The nearby Hogan Butte has a little nature park, too, this one managed by the City of Gresham, I believe. This small park is not a wilderness experience at all.

2024 hogan butte signage and map.jpg
the sign at the parking lot
2024 hogan butte signage and map.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

There's a century-old historic house (the Brite House) at the parking lot, not yet open to the public.

2024 hogan butte house.jpg
Brite House, at the parking lot
2024 hogan butte house.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Then one walks up a short but steep paved road (or drives it, though the only parking at the top is ADA parking). At the top is a well-kept lawn and a short paved/accessible loop that includes a very nice view to the north and east, complete with little signs (in English/Spanish/Russian) that tell you what you're looking at.

Hogan Butte also features a water reservoir at the top of the park, thus thematically linking it with Gabbert Butte.

2024 hogan butte reservoir.jpg
water reservoir on the butte
2024 hogan butte reservoir.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Mt. Hood was out and looking lovely, but the other big peaks (from Rainier to Jefferson, according to the sign) were hidden in clouds. There's a bathroom here (closed for the season), picnic tables, and benches. Dogs on leashes are probably allowed, given the number of people walking their dogs here. The whole thing isn't more than a half mile round trip, but since I'm checking off metro-area open spaces and Boring volcanic field open spaces and trails, I'm glad I stopped by. It's a nice place to have lunch or a snack and admire the view.

2024 hogan butte mt hood.jpg
the afternoon view to the east
2024 hogan butte mt hood.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 1053 times