Lake Ingalls Larches and Peakbagging, Oct. 5-7, 2023

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Charley

Lake Ingalls Larches and Peakbagging, Oct. 5-7, 2023

Post by Charley » November 2nd, 2023, 9:31 pm

THE LARCH

IMG_7228.jpeg

Ever since a 2020 trip to the Enchantments, I've had a strong interest in finding fall hikes with Lyall's Larch. I had three days off in a row earlier this fall, and went to the nearest stand I could find, in the Teanaway area of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, near Ellensburg, Washington.

The route to Lake Ingalls is a legendarily crowded area, and I was visiting in the middle of a period of great weather, in the peak color for the larch, too. It wasn't too bad on Thursday and Friday, but Saturday featured truly epic crowds and a parking nightmare I was glad to have avoided!

My route was based on several trip reports from climbers, and featured three peaks, a few larch basins, and an austere alpine lake. Route here: https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7732768

Ingalls Map.png

Here are some photos.

The real goal of the trip was gorgeous yellow larches, but I was pleasantly surprised at the open mountain views on the well-graded trail up to Ingalls Pass.

IMG_2477.jpeg

I arrived at Ingalls Pass right before sunset, and enjoyed my first views of this year's fall color:

IMG_7035.jpeg

From Ingalls Pass, Mt Stuart fills the sky to the north:

IMG_7087.jpeg

I found a campsite, and set up my tripod for some star photographs (difficult, because the autofocus didn't focus on the stars, and my lens focuses on infinity somewhere in the middle of its adjustment range[???!]):

IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_7125.jpeg

In a surprising display of willpower, I got up before the sunrise, and enjoyed views from the rocky bench I had camped on:

IMG_2556.jpeg

Mt Stuart looked very cool, but with no clouds to tame the sky's contrasts, I focused on the golden larches all around:

IMG_7174.jpeg
IMG_7213.jpeg

IMG_7273.jpeg

The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest has to be one of my favorite NF's, because of the reasonable decision to place backcountry pit toilets in their most popular backcountry camping destinations. I'm sure it's a costly undertaking, but I can report that there is less toilet paper floating around these places, and the convenience factor is huge.

IMG_2567.jpeg

After breakfast, I hiked up to Ingalls Lake, on my way to Ingalls South Peak:

IMG_2618.jpeg

Before the trip, I had done a lot of online reading about the geology of the area, owing to a morbid fascination with asbestos (long story). There are numerous places across the country with surface level deposits of asbestos, and it turns out that the peridote and serpentine minerals that top many mountains in the Teanaway region can form this kind of structure.

This is one of many veins of what I am guessing is asbestos, on my way up to a saddle between the two Ingalls peaks:

IMG_2615.jpeg

Here's a rock with a nice fibrous structure, alongside the trail:

IMG_2475.jpeg

Serpentinite is fascinating because it's basically a green rock that, when exposed to weathering, turns orange. If you find an orange rock up there, you can break it in two, and find green rock inside!
Last edited by Charley on November 2nd, 2023, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Charley

Re: Lake Ingalls Larches and Peakbagging, Oct. 5-7, 2023

Post by Charley » November 2nd, 2023, 9:42 pm

PART II

South Ingalls Peak is a class II climb, at minimum, but I opted for some fun class III scrambling on wonderfully solid (haz-mat) rock on the way up to the South (lower) peak:

IMG_2630.jpeg

Views were of course great:

IMG_2639.jpeg

From South Ingalls, I hiked and scrambled along the ridge (more great rock) to Fortune Peak (there was a good bit of mining here, back in the day):

IMG_2650.jpeg

This was a pretty low key trip, so I spent a long time enjoying the warm sun and cool breeze up there, before heading down the ridge toward Ingalls Pass, where I planned to pick the trail back up to my camp. However, along the ridge, I spotted the upper Headlight Basin, above my campsite. It looked very inviting, and looked like it might offer even more larches than I had enjoyed the previous night, so I just bombed off the ridge on a talus slope in a beeline to the big meadow below.

IMG_2733.jpeg

It was so nice that I left a sleeping pad and a rainjacket at a designated campsite, to reserve a spot for a while.

IMG_2657.jpeg

I then hiked back down to my previous camp and shifted the whole ensemble back up to the upper campsite, where I enjoyed afternoon sun on the larches all around me:

IMG_7281.jpeg

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7319.jpeg

Charley

Post by Charley » November 2nd, 2023, 10:12 pm

Part III

In the late afternoon, I hiked back up to Lake Ingalls. This time, I followed the confusing and tiring traverse around and over the giant boulders on the west side of the lake:

IMG_2746.jpeg

I was hoping to photograph interesting light this trip, but the bluebird sky wasn't providing a very interesting backdrop for Mt Stuart. So I had planned to photograph the rushing water of the outlet stream, reflecting alpenglow on Mt Stuart. After slowly making my way around the lake, though, I was not excited about doing that traverse again, in the dark. So I tried to take a few photos of the sluggish, late summer stream. . .

IMG_2766.jpeg

. . . and then rushed back to the boulder traverse, where I shot the alpenglow and earthshadow while trying not to fall off of boulders or drop my camera in the lake:

IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_7459.jpeg

I slept soundly and woke up before sunrise (again!):

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_7605.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

Even before I got out of bed, hikers started arriving at the meadow, on their way to the lake. I enjoyed hearing their expressions of joy as I ate breakfast in the sunlight. I could also tell it was going to be a busy Saturday!

I packed up and headed out through more larches:

IMG_2910.jpeg

I've never seen so many people on a National Forest Trail! I think I've seen crowds like this at Mt Rainier and Crater Lake, but even then, never so many miles into the backcountry. On the way over to Ingalls Pass:

IMG_2922.jpeg

I left the crowded Pass and headed straight up the ridgeline to Not-Hinkhouse-Peak (for an explanation of the name: https://www.summitpost.org/point-6878-n ... #chapter_2 ). I enjoyed terrific solitude, as well as solid, grippy rock along the way:

IMG_2926.jpeg

A rock arch with Mt Stuart behind:

IMG_2934.jpeg

Great views from the summit:

IMG_2951.jpeg

From there I hiked down to Longs Pass and back onto trails. It got more and more crowded the lower I got. The parking lot was of course full, and I had heard from climbing hikers that they'd parked 1.75 miles down the forest service road past the trailhead.

Amazingly, as I drove my car slowly down the narrow road, with cars parked tightly on either side, people were still trying to park and then walk the nearly two miles up the road to the trailhead.

IMG_2970.jpeg

I kept thinking, "It's 2:30. The sun is going down at 6:30. You're trying to park and hike two miles to a trailhead, then presumably get to the lake, 4.5 mile past that. At a minimum, getting to the first larch tree and Mt Stuart view is 3 miles past the trailhead. There are going to be lots of disappointed hikers!"

I am probably annoying people on this forum with my complaints about permit systems, but a weekend permit for this area might be warranted. The parking situation is unsafe: it is entirely possible that a bad parking job could block the road in or out, for a hundred or more cars!

Anyway, it was a great trip, and I highly recommend a mid-week visit, even in larch season. Let me know if you want any more details about the climbing or route.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 3rd, 2023, 5:49 am

That's a great area, thanks for the report. I've been to the Enchantments several times and climbed Mt Stuart once.

Yeah, that might be a good area where a quota system with a limited number of cars would be appropriate. The same for the Enchantments.

wnshall

Post by wnshall » November 11th, 2023, 10:53 am

Wow! What an awesome trip! Yet another one to add to my list. I'm glad to hear from another geology-interested hiker: those veins of asbestos are cool! Your larch photos are spectacular -- you really worked hard to get fantastic light.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 11th, 2023, 11:54 pm

Great TR and beautiful pics!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller