Elk Mountain-Elk Meadows Loop 8-18-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Elk Mountain-Elk Meadows Loop 8-18-23

Post by bobcat » August 20th, 2023, 11:21 am

Considering the current smoke pall, I am very grateful I was able to get out on a beautiful clear day with no hint of what was to come. This was a relaxed hike from the Elk Meadows Trailhead, with the Newton Creek crossing an easy shuffle on parallel logs. The big Douglas-firs and lush seeps on the hike up to the meadows are one of my favorite unsung features of this hike. I paid homage to the Argyle Tree, once the subject of a vigorous, abiding discussion on these forums: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5268.

Newton Creek, Elk Meadows Trail.jpeg
Newton Creek crossing, Elk Meadows Trail.jpeg
The Argyle Tree, Elk Meadows Trail.jpeg

Then I turned up the Bluegrass Ridge Trail and took the spur to the Elk Mountain Lookout site. Views south were somewhat obscured by fire smoke, and I pottered about the outcrop looking for lookout relics. The lookout’s single bed frame is rapidly becoming part of the shrubbery.

Bluegrass Ridge high point from Elk Mountain.jpeg
Lookout Mountain from Elk Mountain.jpeg
Cable pier, Elk Mountain.jpeg
Rusting bed stand, Elk Mountain.jpeg

The spur trail and the section of the Bluegrass Ridge Trail heading north, which I next took, have been logged out. Good views to Mt. Hood and across the East Fork valley to Lookout Mountain opened up as I went north on the ridge through the 2006 burn. I sat and had lunch near the junction with the tie trail, which leaves the ridge trail on the west side of the crest just as you begin to rise towards the high point on the ridge. There’s a cairn where the tie trail departs down the slope.

Mt. Hood from the Bluegrass Ridge Trail.jpeg
Greene's goldenbush (Ericameria greenei), Bluegrass Ridge Trail.jpeg
Pearly everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea), Bluegrass Ridge Trail.jpeg
Fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium), Bluegrass Ridge Trail.jpeg
Cairn at the junction with the Bluegrass Tie Trail, Bluegrass Ridge Trail.jpeg

TKO logged out the tie trail earlier this month, so it’s back to being the rough little way trail it was before the fire. The trail is a little steep in short sections, and there are a few small stepover logs, but the route is obvious. In the burn, everlasting, lupine, goldenrod, and fireweed were blooming.

Descending to Elk Meadows, Bluegrass Tie Trail.jpeg
Fireweed, everlasting, goldenrod, Bluegrass Tie Trail.jpeg
Rocky Mountain goldenrod (Solidago lepida), Bluegrass Tie Trail.jpeg
Broad-leaf lupine (Lupinus latifolius), Bluegrass Tie Trail.jpeg

At the meadows, I hiked the perimeter, first stopping at the shelter. Hiking out, I encountered several groups with small children walking in for a weekend backpack.

Sign at Elk Meadows junction, Bluegrass Tie Trail.jpeg
The shelter, Elk Meadows.jpeg
Explorer's gentian (Gentiana calycosa), Elk Meadows.jpeg
Mt. Hood from Elk Meadows.jpeg