Mt. June 10/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gratefultrails

Mt. June 10/23

Post by gratefultrails » October 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I took the day off to get a little amble in this gorgeous fall weather! The drive to the Lost Creek trailhead is very scenic and all on paved roads, which is just great with some Dead on the sound system :). I was very impressed by the old-growth on the way up to Sawtooth Ridge, and also by the dry ecosystems on the way up to Mt. June. Nice view up there

There were vine maples in full forest fall color (yellow) all the way up from 2,750' at the TH to 4,000' at the ridgeline junction. Magnificent old growth forest as well for much of the way.

The old growth forest is on a North-facing slope, and the ridgeline revealed a whole new forest composition that caught Southern sun rays. Being from Portland, I was struck by the difference in forest ecosystems. I spent a lot of time hiking Salmon Huckleberry ridgelines, which are in the same Ecoregion as Mt. June and Sawtooth Ridge -- Western Cascades Montane Highlands (4b). But, here in Lane County at 4,000' I saw trees I wouldn't see around Wildcat or Huckleberry Mountains. I believe I saw two tall Oregon ash trees in full fall color beneath a rocky seep. And the Oregon Wildflowers group helped me identify a tree that looked at home in Southern Oregon or NorCal: Golden Chinquapin. According to the Forest Service it grows to tree size in the West-Central Cascades and is an indicator of warm microclimates. As soon as I crested the ridge where the chinquapin grew, it got warmer!

Here are more autumn pictures from the hike up the ridge to Mt. June's summit:

Finally some red, back on a North-facing slope.

The view from the summit encompassed 12 snow peaks (if you count Little Brother The Husband) from Hood to Thielson. I also saw an Oregon white oak growing at 4,600'. Crazy

To the South I could see one of Umpqua National Forests' controlled burns, of either a brush pile or meadow. I saw an announcement about the small scale burnings recently.

Then it was back down, (and some up) to the Sawtooth meadows where I just took a quick rest.

I think around 6.7 miles and 2,200 ft elevation gain. My legs hadn't done a steep one like that in quite some time!
Last edited by gratefultrails on November 1st, 2017, 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

acorn woodpecker

Re: Mt. June 10/23

Post by acorn woodpecker » October 24th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Nice report. Great photos. Never been down that way. Enjoyed the botanical descriptions interspersed in your report. Your writing and hike choice are right up my alley. Thanks for the read!

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » November 1st, 2017, 6:27 pm

Why thank you, glad you enjoyed it! It's been great exploring the Lane County Cascades so far, but there are many more clearcuts or recovering clearcuts around the viewpoints than in the Salmon Huckleberry. Still gorgeous and fascinating nonetheless.

goingrouge

Post by goingrouge » November 1st, 2017, 8:50 pm

This is exactly what I came to say!
acorn woodpecker wrote:Nice report. Great photos. Never been down that way. Enjoyed the botanical descriptions interspersed in your report. Your writing and hike choice are right up my alley. Thanks for the read!

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » November 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

gratefultrails wrote:Why thank you, glad you enjoyed it! It's been great exploring the Lane County Cascades so far, but there are many more clearcuts or recovering clearcuts around the viewpoints than in the Salmon Huckleberry. Still gorgeous and fascinating nonetheless.
I always appreciate the time it takes for someone to construct a trip report (something I haven't done on this site for ~2 years), particularly ones with rich description of their environs. The clearcuts described in your report remind me of the area around the Table Rock Wilderness and parts of the Clackamas River area. The Salmon Huckleberry is special since it's a large enough area that many of the view points are surrounded by more wilderness; plus it benefits from having the Roaring River bordering its south. Additionally, there hasn't been a significant wildfire in recent history to alter the Salmon Huckleberry's vast forested landscape.