Sisters Wilderness on the PCT

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Sisters Wilderness on the PCT

Post by ghsmith76 » July 25th, 2017, 11:15 am

I hit the trail late afternoon on Thursday July 20th from Elk Lake and made it to the top of Koosah Mountain for an evening with a fabulous view and an army of mosquitoes.
Waking up to those mosquitoes did cause me to question why I had decided to venture into the Sisters Wilderness at this time. However, I also realized that the lakes region south of the Sisters is a perfect mosquito breeding ground, so it did get better as I progressed north.
I also ran into more snow as I got closer to the Sisters. Snow was not a detriment but rather refreshing. It was also a bit early for great flower presentations, however, there was plenty of color.
I camped the second night at Hinton Creek which provided a beautiful view of the Middle Sister and meadows for Brook to monitor wildlife activity. I took my time progressing through the Obsidian area enjoying the scenery. I had a feeling I would camp the next night at Sawyer Bar and it turned out to be better then I had remembered it.
The last day offered up the climb over Olie Dilldock Pass which is a unique experience hiking over lava fields with incredible views of the mountains to the north.

Blog Post: https://adventurecontinues.org/2017/07/ ... on-the-pct
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

bobcat

Re: Sisters Wilderness on the PCT

Post by bobcat » July 28th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Good trip! Looks like the only downside was the mosquito plague, but it seems like a good time to be there.

Don Nelsen

Re: Sisters Wilderness on the PCT

Post by Don Nelsen » July 28th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Nice pics! Too bad about the nasty bugs. I've noticed far more this year than in the past three or four years at least.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller