Wildcat Basin (Strawberry Range) 06-23-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Wildcat Basin (Strawberry Range) 06-23-17

Post by bobcat » July 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

I had never hiked into the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness from one of the southern trailheads before, so I motored up Indian Spring Road, which has two of the highest trailheads in Oregon. I began at the lower of the two, Road’s End (7,870 feet), and hiked up the old lookout road, which still sheltered deep drifts of snow in places. Then I headed west on the Pine Creek Trail, which I lost in places going down across snow patches in the woods. As the trail dropped, however, it became clear, and I crossed sections of the 1996 Wildcat Fire and came to the first of the “badlands”, exposed ash deposits from volcanic eruptions 14 million years ago. Sullivan calls these the “White Badlands.” There are also the “Yellow Badlands,” and in-between the two are smaller formations I’ll call the “Cream Badlands.”
Roads End Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Junction, Pine Creek and Roads End Trails, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Strawberry Mountain, Pine Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Lemmon's rockcress (Boechera lemmonii), Pine Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Goosefoot violet (Viola purpurea), Pine Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Alpine waterleaf (Hydrophyllum capitatum var. alpinum), Pine Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
The White Badlands, Pine Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
The White Badlands rise above Wildcat Basin, a small alpine cove with campsites and a spring. The only hiker before me this year had come this far and turned back (wisely, as it turned out), judging by tracks anyway. I continued on up to the ridge which extends to Indian Creek Butte. The Pine Creek Trail here should continue west, but the tread has been wiped out by the 2015 Canyon Complex Fire. I was doing a loop anyway, so dropped into the Indian Creek Basin and passed the Cream Badlands before taking an unmaintained cutoff trail. Increasingly, I began to experience the Curse of the Blues, dry deadfall tumbled like matchsticks across the trail. I reached the onion marsh, the source of Indian Creek and also the location of the Yellow Badlands. From here I negotiated deadfall as the trail steepened, and I encountered a vertical snowdrift in which I had to stab toeholds for about 50 feet, glancing nervously below at the various impalement options among the sharp deadfall should I slip. Once over the ridge, I picked up the Pine Creek Trail again and returned to Road’s End.
In Wildcat Basin, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
View to the rim, Wildcat Basin, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Cream Badlands, Indian Creek Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
The Yellow Badlands, Indian Creek Cutoff Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Onion Marsh, Indian Creek Cutoff Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Yellow Badlands and Indian Creek Butte, Indian Creek Cutoff Trail, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
With a couple of hours left in the day, I motored up to the High Lake Trailhead at almost 8,000 feet. My vehicle seems to have been only the second this season to have laid tracks across the snowdrifts on the road. Below me, High Lake did not look very inviting in its scorched bowl, so I opted for a summit jaunt to Indian Spring Butte, at 8,529 feet the third-highest peak in the Strawberries after Strawberry Mountain and Slide Mountain. This was mostly on snow, slushy enough on a warm day but not post-holey. I saw the tracks and droppings of a single mountain goat. Once at the summit, there were views in all directions, including northeast to the Wallowas, with Strawberry Lake sparkling below and Little Strawberry Lake out of sight in its niche below the Rabbit Ears.
Old fence post, Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Looking down on High Lake, Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Summit ridge, Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Strawberry Lake from Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Strawberry Mountain from Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Rabbit Ears, Slide Mt., Graham Mt. from Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg
Strawberry Mountain and Strawberry Lake, Indian Spring Butte, Strawberry Mt. Wilderness.jpg

Aimless

Re: Wildcat Basin (Strawberry Range) 06-23-17

Post by Aimless » July 2nd, 2017, 11:08 am

That is an informative and delightful trail report, Bobcat. Thank you. How was the air temperature, what with so little shade anywhere?

bobcat

Re: Wildcat Basin (Strawberry Range) 06-23-17

Post by bobcat » July 3rd, 2017, 7:20 am

Aimless wrote:How was the air temperature, what with so little shade anywhere?
It was not hot at those altitudes (and this was just before the mini-heat wave came over from the west), and there was a slight breeze. The whole hike was pretty exposed though. Here's a satellite view - somewhere in there is the Indian Creek Cutoff Trail!
Matchsticks.png
That night, I camped at Little Crane Creek in the Malheur N.F. It dropped to 30 degrees by dawn, and I got to experience a heavy freezing dew!