Wild Cheat Meadow and beyond - 7/13/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Wild Cheat Meadow and beyond - 7/13/2013

Post by justpeachy » July 15th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Greg and I spent the weekend in the Mt. Jefferson area doing some day hikes. On Saturday we headed up to Triangulation Peak. Rather than taking the easy shorter trail on the north side we took the highly-recommended and much longer route from the south, via Wild Cheat Meadow. Unfortunately this hike turned out to be quite a bit different than we were expecting.

The first 2.5 miles of this hike are a steep and tedious slog through the forest. I will say that there was some nice old growth in here, but it was hard to enjoy the big trees as I struggled up the trail.

There was some blowdown to negotiate, but fortunately not a lot.

Finally after an hour and a half we reached Wild Cheat Meadow. The mosquitoes were REALLY bad here so we didn't linger.

If you get lost in the meadow you can look for this wooden sign, but good luck spotting it in the shadow of the trees. We didn't see it until we were 20 feet away.

The trail past that point was not in good shape. It is getting pretty overgrown and my legs got all scratched up from the huckleberry bushes. I had no choice but to zip the pant legs onto my convertible hiking pants, even though it was a really warm day.

Finally we reached the ridge, where the trail leveled out. Soon we reached the junction with the Triangulation Trail. If you've ever hiked the Whitewater Trail up to Jefferson Park, that first trail junction you get to is with this trail. Today we were headed the other direction, though.

We also passed the junction with the Devil's Peak Trail, a trail which doesn't appear on current topo maps. How bizarre is it that this abandoned trail has a sign when there are plenty of active trails completely lacking in signage??

Hiking the Triangulation Trail it was nice to be on level ground and to not be climbing anymore, but the trail was still very brushy. We'd get a good pace going and then bit a walk of huckleberries that slowed us down. Plus the unmaintained trail had some eroded sections that slowed us down. And we were STILL in the trees, with no views. I was getting discouraged.

After four miles of hiking we came to an open spot with a big rocky area above the trail. There was a great view of Mt. Jefferson here so we took off our packs and called it good. The viewless brushy ridge hiking was getting tiresome and we didn't want to push on for two more miles to Triangulation Peak, adding four miles onto our day. The view right here suits me just fine, thank you. :D

Three Fingered Jack and part of the Three Sisters.

Greg admiring the view. Cheat Creek is somewhere far below us.

There was A LOT of sedum in the rocky area where we stopped. There were two different kinds. Here is one:

And the other, which looked like something from another world!

After enjoying the splendid views for awhile we turned and headed back. Not much to report on the return trip, except we spotted this log which looks like it's cackling. :D

Even though I haven't done the northern approach to Triangulation Peak I would recommend that as a better route than the one we took, which is stuck in trees 98% of the time. If we had known that ahead of time we would have never taken this route. If you really wanted to see Wild Cheat Meadow I would recommend a car shuttle and hike from the northern trailhead to the southern trailhead so you don't have to hike all the tedious parts twice. Or you could even hike to Wild Cheat Meadow from the southern trailhead, turn around and go back to your car, then drive to the northern trailhead and hike to Triangulation Peak.

I don't regret at all that we didn't push on to Triangulation Peak. We got a nice view, even if it wasn't at the destination we'd originally been aiming for. Someday we hope to visit Triangulation Peak via the easier/shorter trail.

GoretexDisco

Re: Wild Cheat Meadow and beyond - 7/13/2013

Post by GoretexDisco » July 15th, 2013, 7:13 pm

I always love your pictures, JustPeachy. :D

I just got back from this same hike, but I think I enjoyed it much more than you did. I thought it offered an awesome variety. The initial bit is steep, but I found the forest cooling and the gurgling creek buoyed my exertions. Then the little meadow walk (which is nice, but more as variety for the hike, not as a super special destination in itself). The overgrown stretch after the meadow cut me up too, and the trail isn't an easy walk with erosion, blowdown and roots. But then it evens out, and the lava rock slopes emerge, views of the mountain pop out, and then the amazing spires, talus and lava before the final hoof up Triangulation. The views up there are gorgeous.

Now, I never, ever, ever take a wrong turn. :lol: But on the way back I zoomed past the overgrown junction leading back to Cheat Creek, and must have blithely sampled about a mile of the trail coming from the more popular trailhead before I realized my oversight. It's nice, but much less interesting than the more challenging trail we hiked.

Of course, both trails lead to the top!

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 15th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Oh, Cheryl...
You missed the best stuff. The 2 miles or so after that view are where all the wildflowers are. There's one meadow up on the ridge that reminds me of something around Iron Mountain, but with Mount Jefferson right in front of you. I'm sorry you didn't like the trail up Cheat Creek as much. I love the old-growth there. It's steep but the forest is really peaceful.

Now I feel like a jerk for recommending it. :(

Here's what you missed:

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 16th, 2013, 4:40 am

Cheryl,

The hike to Triangulation Peak from the northern trailhead off of McCoy Creek Road is much shorter, has much less elevation gain, and is really a neat hike - put it on your list next time you're up that way. The view from the summit is awesome. I hiked Cheat Creek many years ago, and while I didn't get to the flower-filled ridge meadows that Matt mentioned, my knees struggled with the steep grade coming back down the trail after I was pretty spent pushing my way up to the junction above Wild Cheat Meadow.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 16th, 2013, 6:45 am

mattisnotfrench wrote:Now I feel like a jerk for recommending it.
Nah, you're definitely not a jerk for recommending this hike. Hikes are like books: we all have our personal favorites and we all have our own opinions for what constitutes a good book or hike. I KNOW I've recommended books to others that they didn't like, and I'm sure I have recommended favorite hikes that others didn't enjoy as much as I did.

Plus, the workout that this hike provided sure didn't hurt me any, since I'm in a "biggest loser" competition with some coworkers and I plan to win, dang it! :D And we DID get to see a very nice view of Mt. Jefferson. Can't complain about that!

Elsie

Post by Elsie » July 16th, 2013, 7:39 am

Nice TR! I went up to Trig Peak from Cheat Creek the following day (Sunday) and had the same feeling about the woods. But it was still a nice workout and once I got out into the heat of the sun was glad for the shade. If you ever make it up there again you should scramble down the east side of the peak (there is a clear user trail) and check out Boca Cave. It's pretty awesome and you get a nice view of Jefferson from the mouth. Definitely a great spot for lunch to avoid the sun. Upon my return I kept going straight on eastward to Jefferson Park to spend the night out, making for a long 15 mile day...but worth well worth it to be closer to Sir Jeff!

jime

Post by jime » July 16th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Nice pictures. We did the same hike on Sat. Just ahead of you. (blue car). We clocked 12.4 miles round trip to Triangulation Peak and back. I agree, it was a workout. But we enjoyed it a lot. The variety is interesting. The trail could use some brushing. That would help a lot. And the tread is narrow in places.

I found it really cool to see so many Alaska Yellow Cedars along the ridge trail to Triangulation Peak. This is a tree you find more up the coast in British Columbia. However, at higher elevations it's southern range extends down almost to Crater Lake. It has very shaggy bark.

Jim & Debbie

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm

justpeachy wrote:
mattisnotfrench wrote:Now I feel like a jerk for recommending it.
Nah, you're definitely not a jerk for recommending this hike. Hikes are like books: we all have our personal favorites and we all have our own opinions for what constitutes a good book or hike. I KNOW I've recommended books to others that they didn't like, and I'm sure I have recommended favorite hikes that others didn't enjoy as much as I did.

Plus, the workout that this hike provided sure didn't hurt me any, since I'm in a "biggest loser" competition with some coworkers and I plan to win, dang it! :D And we DID get to see a very nice view of Mt. Jefferson. Can't complain about that!
Could not agree more. This is why I like to see many TRs from the same place form different people & different times of year

Congratas on biggest loser competition ! I know your some kind of vegetarian? You doin anything special? like maybe following this guys diet?
Best-Selling Author
A long-term eating plan, Brendan’s first title, The Thrive Diet: The Whole Foods Way to Losing Weight, Reducing Stress, and Staying Healthy for Life (Penguin, 2007) will help you develop a lean body, sharp mind, and everlasting energy, whether you’re a professional athlete or simply looking to boost your physical and mental health.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm

mayhem wrote: I know your some kind of vegetarian? You doin anything special?
I'm pescetarian, which means I don't eat meat but I do eat fish. I already ate pretty healthy before this competition started at work, but I'm trying to be even more healthy, especially in the snack department (I have a big weakness for salty snacks, especially potato chips). It's pretty easy (at least for me) to eat healthy in summer what with all the fresh produce so readily available. I have a desk job, so I'm very sedentary during the week. But I try to make up for it on the weekends with lots of hiking!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 16th, 2013, 8:12 pm

GoretexDisco wrote:I always love your pictures, JustPeachy. :D
Me too.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir