Hiking the OCT: Samuel Boardman State Park (SW Oregon Coast)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mandrake

Hiking the OCT: Samuel Boardman State Park (SW Oregon Coast)

Post by mandrake » November 13th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Opening pic...

Ever since a very short, but inspiring, visit to Samuel Boardman State Park a number of years ago, a return trip there has been in the back of my mind. With an unexpected three-day weekend suddenly manifesting, it seemed this year the time had come. If you're not familiar, Samuel Boardman is a coastal state park located between Gold Beach and Brookings down on the SW coast of Oregon. Having now hiked a good section of the Oregon Coastal Trail, which passes through the park, I can now say that the area has some of the most spectacular coastal scenery in the state. Con: it's a six hour drive from Portland... so if you're heading down that way, definitely make it worth your time and stay awhile.

There are all manner of trailheads and short hikes that one can do throughout the park, so one can make any kind of trip one desires. With a couple of vehicles, you can set up for a one-way hike through the park... Or, if you don't want to bother setting up a shuttle, jump aboard the convenient Coastal Express bus that permits whistle-stops at any safe location along the shoulder of Hwy 101. Cost is a staggering $4/person. They recommend calling ahead of time to schedule whistle-stops or pickups. Con: bus only runs M-F.

Friday morning, I left my car at Harris Beach Park and hiked the bike trail into town (~1mi). The bus stop is right outside of Ray's Groceries and easy to find. Bus was on promptly on time at 7:20am, and about 40min later I was up at the Pistol River Viewpoint ready to begin my hike south.

Shore birds at the mouth of the Pistol River.

Approaching Crook Point.

Sea stacks at Crook Point.

Crook Point itself is closed to the public, so the OCT heads inland. There is an unfortunate hike along the shoulder of Hwy 101 for a couple miles before the trail resumes at Sam Boardman SP. Apparently the powers that be are working on a solution in future to keep hikers off the highway. Currently these bits hiking the road aren't as much fun, but they go quick and don't detract from the wow-factor of the scenery on the rest of the route.

Trail drops down and cruises along through the trees just above a rocky beach below. Saw a total of about four snakes sunning themselves at various points along the trail.

Probably my favorite of the sea stacks along the northern section. This is close to the Arch Rock. You get a better views following the OCT north of the Arch Rock viewpoint. The OCT passes at least five sea arches in this section.

Secret Beach.

Down the switchbacks and out onto China Beach. The headland photo left is a tidepoint... need a low tide to get around. Alternate would be hiking Hwy 101 way above.

Lookin' stormy...

Incredible amount of sea foam on Whaleshead Beach. This beach might be tricky to pass at high tide. The exit off the beach is marked with posts, but easy to miss. It's quite steep.

Immature jack-alope.

Cape Ferello. This was one of my favorite headlands. The views up here are spectacular.

Seastack-palooza.

At the south end of Lone Ranch Beach a new trail has been put in that leads a bit over a mile back up to Hwy 101. At low tide, however, you can add a little distance, and make your way between two large sea stacks into another cove with even better views and take an alternate trail back up to meet the OCT.

View at Rainbow Rock. Alas, a short stretch of Hwy 101 is required (~1.5mi) to make it back to Harris State Beach Park. A paved bike path leads right to the campground.

Summary: a fantastic weekend down on the southern coast. If you like sea stacks, this is the place to go... Having a decent map is a big plus as many junctions are not signed. Even with a map, there are a number of side-trails that lead down to viewpoints on various headlands -- as well as some user trails leading to secluded beaches. There was a lot I didn't have time to explore. The northern part of the OCT is not as well maintained, but quite passable. There is a lot of elevation gain & loss along the trail.

References:
Samuel Boardman State Park:
http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?d ... 080305.pdf

Coastal Express Bus Schedule:
https://currypublictransit.org/coastal-express/

Peder

Re: Hiking the OCT: Samuel Boardman State Park (SW Oregon Co

Post by Peder » November 13th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Great to see pictures from there. I spent a day there with my kids some years back and I have also been considering a return. It is a lovely area and not too far from the Redwoods NP, another worthy destination.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 15th, 2016, 7:37 am

WOW such beauty! Looks like you had decent weather too!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » December 5th, 2016, 8:52 pm

The Boardman Corridor is one of my favorite sections of the Oregon Coast. I spent three nights there last year and hiked a good portion of the trails for work on my second hiking book. Definitely on my list of places to return to again and again. We always camp at Harris Beach State Park. It's big and can be crowded, but we don't spend much time at the campground when there's such incredible beauty along the coastline here. : )
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes