UPDATE Road 65 Conditions to Thomas Lake Trail Indian Heaven

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Thomas M

UPDATE Road 65 Conditions to Thomas Lake Trail Indian Heaven

Post by Thomas M » November 5th, 2016, 8:04 am

ROAD 65 CONDITIONS TO THOMAS LAKE TRAILHEAD; Reference this post:
re: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=24703

Friday, November 4 , 2016

The washout shown in this post has been filled with loose gravel. Such an easy drive over I hardly noticed it having looked at the picture on this post. Thanks for small favors!!!! However, it is loose and apparently has not been compacted and rebuilt as a good gravel road bed would be. With the traffic in there for hunting season, no telling what condition it will soon be in. For now it's an easy pass. I think this one is Falls Creek. Maybe there is a culvert that has been blocked????

At about 2 miles south of Thomas Lake Trailhead parking, there is another small washout. I had to move a few small boulders. There appears to have been some gravel added here also. But, still, a good little drop. Go slow it is passable. I'm driving a '91 Jetta without a lot of ground clearance and made it ok.

Coming in on Road 65 I didn't see a large white "Road Closed" sign south of these washouts. Not until I got north of the large one did I spy another of the signs on that end going south. I think someone was messing with the signs and turned the one face down. So, I just trundled in not aware that the road was apparently closed. These washouts are no problem for a vehicle with high ground clearance. My Jetta only has about 4 inches.

Indian Heaven has passed its peak in terms of color. Waiting till next time..............

PS: It was not a pleasant experience coming out in the dark on that winding mountain road with all of the hunters coming in to do their thing tomorrow, the beginning of rifle hunting season. Coming out, in the dim twilight, in a somewhat residential area, as one elk crossed the road, I saw a large herd, hiding for their lives in the forest right near the road. I just don't get it?????