North Cascades Larches, Oct. 1-3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: North Cascades Larches, Oct. 1-3

Post by drm » October 15th, 2016, 7:35 am

For all my trips to the region, I haven't been to Mt Baker yet. The reason being that if I'm going to drive that far, I'm going on a backpacking trip and the Mt Baker Wilderness seems a bit small for a multi-day backpacking trip. I did do one trip to the national park that just focused on dayhikes, but that is an exception for me.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 15th, 2016, 8:15 am

Great trip report and stunning photos! I've always wanted to go up there in the fall and it just hasn't happened. Nice to live vicariously through someone else. :D

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » October 15th, 2016, 9:53 am

I feel like I need to do a little PR for the Mt. Baker area. I always waffle back and forth on whether it or Glacier Peak is my favorite volcano in Washington. Baker is a more graceful looking peak than the hulking blobs of Rainier and Adams. Maybe a bit like Hood from certain profiles. Absolutely coated with glaciers. I understand the previous comment about lack of backpacking destinations, but it's a dayhikers paradise. Many of the hikes can be done as relatively short overnighters, with some options for poking around and exploring to keep you busy. A trip along the Mt. Baker Hwy can easily keep you busy for more than a week and you still won't see everything out there.

And if you really want a multiday trip, the Whatcom Pass/Copper Ridge loop in North Cascades NP is there, and that one is fantastic!

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 15th, 2016, 2:42 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:I feel like I need to do a little PR for the Mt. Baker area. I always waffle back and forth on whether it or Glacier Peak is my favorite volcano in Washington. Baker is a more graceful looking peak than the hulking blobs of Rainier and Adams. Maybe a bit like Hood from certain profiles. Absolutely coated with glaciers.
Haha, yeah, same here. xD Trying to decide between Mt. Baker and Glacier Pk is a tough one! My personal favorite Washington volcano is Mount Adams for its sheer size and hidden off-trail gems (Hint, hint: Crystal Lake ;) ), followed by Rainier. Still haven't decided between Glacier and Baker. I haven't been to Glacier Peak yet, but if my Spider Gap-Buck Creek Pass-Image Lake trip pans out next year, I might get a better idea on which is my third favorite. :P

Washington state is just packed to the brink with amazing places to explore. It never ceases to amaze me what this state has to offer.
- Previously ElementalFX

drm

Post by drm » October 15th, 2016, 3:01 pm

In these parts we just call it Washington, leaving off the "state" part. Nothing against the other Washington, except maybe it's serious lack of glaciers. :lol: It does have a nice loop hike around Rock Creek. (I lived in the District for five years before moving to Gorge of the same name)

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » October 16th, 2016, 10:54 am

I agree with everyone, the North Cascades are special! I go up there as much as I can! We love the Methow Valley; I would move there if I could! I still haven't made my way into the Pasayten (mostly because I am a little fearful of driving the road to Hart's Pass for the more popular trails), but there are many other access points. Next year, hopefully!

We were in the North Cascades at the end of Sept, meeting up with a friend who had never been to the North Cascades. We hiked the Maple - Heather loop and also hiked to Lewis Lake. I couldn't convince my hiking partners to climb the extra 1000 ft to Wing Lake this time, but, that lake is a beauty as well. The larches and fall color were fabulous at Lewis Lake and on the Maple loop. Your photos capture it well!

I second the suggestion of Copper Ridge loop north of Baker. We hiked it in six days/five nights this year and it was magical! Somehow, we had perfect blue sky weather! We also made the side trip to Whatcom Pass / Tapto Lakes, which has outstanding views of the Challenger glacier and so much more. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this trip - the primeval forest, the cable car creek crossing, Indian Creek with its spawning salmon, and the views from Copper Ridge! So good! The only negative was hordes of black flies, especially going in/out on the Hannegan Pass trail.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 16th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Thanks again, everyone!
RobFromRedland wrote:My Daughter has worked in Stehekin for the past two summers and I've made several trips up to the North Cascades...
What a cool gig! When I went through there on the PCT, I fantasized more or less the whole time about living there for a while.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 17th, 2016, 7:05 pm

drm wrote:In these parts we just call it Washington, leaving off the "state" part. Nothing against the other Washington, except maybe it's serious lack of glaciers. :lol: It does have a nice loop hike around Rock Creek. (I lived in the District for five years before moving to Gorge of the same name)

Haha, oops! Being in Oklahoma for the time being has gotten me accustomed to specifying the "state" part. :lol:
- Previously ElementalFX

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 17th, 2016, 7:32 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:I feel like I need to do a little PR for the Mt. Baker area. I always waffle back and forth on whether it or Glacier Peak is my favorite volcano in Washington. Baker is a more graceful looking peak than the hulking blobs of Rainier and Adams. Maybe a bit like Hood from certain profiles. Absolutely coated with glaciers. I understand the previous comment about lack of backpacking destinations, but it's a dayhikers paradise. Many of the hikes can be done as relatively short overnighters, with some options for poking around and exploring to keep you busy. A trip along the Mt. Baker Hwy can easily keep you busy for more than a week and you still won't see everything out there.

And if you really want a multiday trip, the Whatcom Pass/Copper Ridge loop in North Cascades NP is there, and that one is fantastic!
Mt baker highway... Just reading the name brings a huge smile to my face.

I still think about Tomyhoi Peak pretty much daily :mrgreen:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 18th, 2016, 5:39 am

"maybe it's serious lack of glaciers."

lots of glaciers in D.C. based on the slow progress of some legislation? :)