Potato Butte (Olallie) + Alder Flat 09-21-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Potato Butte (Olallie) + Alder Flat 09-21-16

Post by bobcat » September 26th, 2016, 7:23 pm

The Red Lakes Trail is the easiest of the Olallie trails to get to as its trailhead is less than a mile off the Clackamas River Highway, so you’re on tarmac 98% of the drive! The trail also showcases much of what represents the Olallie area with a bit of Indian Heaven thrown in besides: numerous lakes, views to Cascade peaks, mountain meadows, and some impressive old growth.

I hiked up through old growth and then crossed a powerline corridor: before the powerlines there’s a sign that still references the Skyline Trail (now the Lodgepole Trail and precursor to the PCT) – it should be replaced and put in a museum! There’s more old growth, Douglas-firs and some western hemlocks, after the power lines, and then you’re in typical flat Olallie woodland dominated by lodgepole pine.
Old growth forest, Red Lake Trail.jpg
Skyline Trail sign, Red Lake Trail.jpg
Tall trees, Red Lake Trail.jpg
Huckleberries, Red Lake Trail, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
The first lake is Red Lake, where Mt. Jefferson peeks above the southern skyline. Then I was on to Averill Lake, the largest in the area, and named after a former “State Fish Protector,” which is what they called them in the 1920s. After that, I came to Wall Lake, perhaps the most scenic, with local prominences like Potato Butte, Olallie Butte, Twin Peaks and Double Peaks forming a backdrop depending on where you stand. The fourth lake, right at the junction with the Potato Butte Trail is Sheep Lake, also picturesque with Olallie Butte looming to the east.
Red Lake, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Averill Lake sign, Red Lake Trail.jpg
Averill Lake and Potato Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Bog blueberries (Vaccinium uliginosum), Wall Lake, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Wall Lake, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Sheep Lake and Olallie Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Pool and Sheep Lake, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
While there were a few trees down on the Red Lake Trail, there were many more down on the Potato Butte Trail although none were much of an impediment. There were still some fine huckleberries of various species ripe for the plucking but with bear scat every few yards, I imagined an entire sleuth (Yes, that’s the correct term for a group of ursines) had munched their way through or perhaps a single gluttonous beast with lightning quick metabolism. I passed by Spud Meadow, usually a shallow pond into July. Then, the trail gets very steep for the final push up to the summit of Potato Butte: the views there are limited although you can wander through the trees to see Mt. Hood to the north and Olallie Butte to the east.
Blueberries, Potato Butte Trail, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Spud Meadow, Potato Butte Trail, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Summit sign, Potato Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Olallie Butte from Potato Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
The best viewpoint on the butte is about 180 yards back from the summit signpost where an obvious spur trail leads off the a boulder slope that offers a tremendous vista to Mt. Jefferson as well as to some of the lakes on the trail in. Also, you will see the secret lakes near Spud Meadow, Big Spud and Little Spud, which inspired me to make a quick visit on the way back. Big Potato, in fact, has much potential as it is fairly deep and has a nice jumping off spot from shoreline boulders: a great skinny-dipping spot on a hot day!
Spud Lakes, Sheep Lake, Wall Lake, Double Peaks, Mt. Jefferson from Potato Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Little Spud Lake and Potato Butte, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Big Spud Lake, Olallie Lake Scenic Area.jpg
Driving back, I had time to spare so, past the Ripplebrook Guard Station, I hiked the little 0.8 mile trail to Alder Flat. This is a lovely hike, especially on a weekday, and the entire length is shaded by some massive old growth trees. The trail was constructed in 1966 by Job Corps volunteers from the nearby Timberlake Conservation Center. I passed by Dry Creek Pond, formed by a family of beavers decades ago – they are long gone now. The trail then descends to a bend on the Clackamas. This was a campground with an outhouse and six picnic tables with fire pits. Most of these amenities were still present when I last visited about 15 years ago, but now they all seem to have disappeared and are unlikely to come back anytime soon.
Old growth, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
At Dry Creek Lake, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Nodding beggarticks (Bidens cernua), Dry Creek Lake, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Job Corps plaque, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Footbridge, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Skunk-cabbage bottom, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Massive cedar, Alder Flat Trail.jpg
Campsite, Alder Flat.jpg
Bluffs on the Clackamas, Alder Flat.jpg

RobFromRedland

Re: Potato Butte (Olallie) + Alder Flat 09-21-16

Post by RobFromRedland » September 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Neat trip - I've never seen that Skyline trail sign - I'll have to look for it next time I hike the trail. The coolest Skyline trail sign I've ever seen was on the Pyramid butte trail (now abandoned) - it was a cool old carved sign on the route of the Skyline (the PCT has since been re-routed around it).

That viewpoint on Potato Butte is (I think) where it got its name - the rocks look like big potatoes, or at least that is the story I was told.

Thanks for posting your trip.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 2nd, 2016, 9:52 am

RobFromRedland wrote:That viewpoint on Potato Butte is (I think) where it got its name - the rocks look like big potatoes, or at least that is the story I was told.
That's what they say, but I can't for the life of me see a resemblance to potatoes in those boulders!

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 18th, 2016, 12:20 pm

spud meadow... Is that an official or unofficial name?? First time I have heard that name. Don't recall seeing it on my map.

That entire area is magnificent

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 19th, 2016, 6:29 am

-Q- wrote:spud meadow... Is that an official or unofficial name??
The "Spud Lakes" are "local" nomenclature; Spud Meadow is purely a bobcat concoction although seasonally it becomes one of the Spud Lakes.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 19th, 2016, 7:25 pm

bobcat wrote:
-Q- wrote:spud meadow... Is that an official or unofficial name??
The "Spud Lakes" are "local" nomenclature; Spud Meadow is purely a bobcat concoction although seasonally it becomes one of the Spud Lakes.
Cool man, thanks
I like the name, and will adopt it :mrgreen: