South Sister (8-20-16)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sgyoung

South Sister (8-20-16)

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 10:26 am

After some minor travel difficulties my hiking gear arrived in Redmond and I was able to make it up South Sister. The hike was a relatively low key affair (e.g., no cowboy camping on the summit :)) but I did take Karl's advice to leave super early to heart. This was especially valuable since I ended up going on a Saturday, instead of the Thursday or Friday attempt I originally planned. Beating the crowds was a key component - I would not have enjoyed getting caught in the conga line I encountered while descending.

I hit the trail at about 4:30am and made it through the wooded portion of the hike with a headlamp illuminating the way. The trial was very easy to follow in the dark and the nearly full moon provided at least a hint of light as well. Sunrise was at 6:15am and I was up on the plateau in front of South Sister a little before 6:00. Here are a few pictures from both just before and after dawn.

Relating to my early start time, I was nearly alone on the hike. A few campers were waking up here and there but I didn't actually encounter many other groups on the trail at all. I had the Lewis Glacier tarn pretty much to myself.

While taking a breather here I met one other guy who had started before me and was caught by another two groups of hikers. We all chatted briefly and then proceeded up the ridge between Lewis and Clark glaciers separately.

I hit the crater rim at 8:55am.

Thankfully the skies were clearer than when when my wife and I did Tam McArthur the day prior. Here is looking south from the rim (but not summit) of the crater:

Bachelor from the rim, as I walked toward the summit:

Broken top, with a bit of back light washing out the colors. Still pretty cool though.

Another BT shot, this time from somewhere on the summit side of the rim. I like the rock formations in the middle ground on South Sister (would those be gendarmes?).

Looking over the crater snowfield to the south again:

And without further ado, the view north. Unlike the day prior, Hood was plainly visible and Adam was also there on the horizon although did not show up in photos.

The landscape immediately around the Sisters is endlessly fascinating. Here are some of the lakes that dot the area.

I hung around the summit for nearly an hour. Oddly, there were bees all over the place who really liked my peanut butter sandwich but were otherwise harmless. What finally chased me away was the steady stream of hikers arriving, with a big wave rolling in around 9:45ish.

The way down was a pain for a few reasons. Primarily the many traffic jams that slowed my progress while dozens of people huffed their way up the trail. Additionally, the footing was horrendous until well below the Lewis tarn. It made me long for the ash slopes of MSH, which I didn't find nearly as taxing as the surface of South Sister. Admittedly, I am not sure footed but sliding down the trail made for a dusty and slow-going decent. Even still, I made decent time and was back at the trail head in Devil's lake at about 1:30.

A few last pictures from the walk back to the trailhead in the full afternoon light:

Close up of the trail. If you mega-zoom in you can spot some hikers.

All told, it was about 9 hours round trip including my long break on the summit, a break at the tarn, and pausing for at least 5 sunscreen applications :). It was super fun experience and I'm pleased to have knocked off another of your walk-up volcanoes.

Oh yeah, one more thing! I might have seen a bear in the morning while still in the woods. I caught a glimpse of wide-set eyes low to the ground with my head lamp and when I tried to focus on the animal (thinking "please don't be a cougar") it hastily and clumsily crashed into some brush uphill and to my left. I didn't see or hear anything afterward, but did talk a guy on the way up the mountain who mentioned seeing a bear himself.

Adams next, right Art?

kepPNW

Re: South Sister (8-20-16)

Post by kepPNW » August 24th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Sweeeeeet! :D

Sounds like you made great time, too. (The heat of the afternoon really slowed me down - my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!) Just amazing to watch that upward-bound procession, isn't it?

Was there any water on top? You didn't mention it, and those girls who got "stuck" up there the other day apparently didn't take advantage of it either, so I'm wondering if that was a total fluke for us.

The footing on Saint Helens is far better than South Sister, agreed on that! Adams is quite different, with (what seems like) most of the day being spent on snow.

Fun read! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Arturo

Post by Arturo » August 24th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Nice report Steve.
I gotta say you are a trooper.
I don't know many who would fly 5,000 mile roundtrips as much as you do to climb hills. Bravo.
I'm eyeing McLoughlin this Saturday.
Adams 2017 for sure.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 6:07 pm

kepPNW wrote:Sweeeeeet! :D

Sounds like you made great time, too. (The heat of the afternoon really slowed me down - my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!) Just amazing to watch that upward-bound procession, isn't it?
Thanks! And indeed, it was so jarring to walk up the rim basically alone and then to wonder back to the same spot an hour later to see hundreds of people stomping up the mountain.
kepPNW wrote:Was there any water on top? You didn't mention it, and those girls who got "stuck" up there the other day apparently didn't take advantage of it either, so I'm wondering if that was a total fluke for us.
Well, no liquid water - although perhaps later in the day it melted out a little bit. I'd think that giant snow field would provide for some emergency hydration if one were in a truly life or death struggle. That story is just strange. I wonder if they only called SAR when they realized Uber doesn't pick up from the summit?
kepPNW wrote:The footing on Saint Helens is far better than South Sister, agreed on that! Adams is quite different, with (what seems like) most of the day being spent on snow.
Out of curiosity, in your experience does the snow (provided one has adequate traction) make things easier both up and down?
Arturo wrote:Nice report Steve.
I gotta say you are a trooper.
I don't know many who would fly 5,000 mile roundtrips as much as you do to climb hills. Bravo.
I'm eyeing McLoughlin this Saturday.
Adams 2017 for sure.
Thanks, Art. I fully acknowledge it's a bit weird that Christina and I make an annual trip to the PNW. We still travel often enough to other places that it's not really costing us other opportunities or experiences, and we just really love it out there. For the record, we also hike closer to home as well (I just hit some Adirondack high peaks the week before South Sister) but those local trips don't seem worth posting about here :).

I'm excited to hear about your McLoughlin climb. And for sure, next summer we'll do Adams. I'm really looking forward that!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 25th, 2016, 5:49 am

sgyoung wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Was there any water on top? You didn't mention it, and those girls who got "stuck" up there the other day apparently didn't take advantage of it either, so I'm wondering if that was a total fluke for us.
Well, no liquid water - although perhaps later in the day it melted out a little bit. I'd think that giant snow field would provide for some emergency hydration if one were in a truly life or death struggle. That story is just strange. I wonder if they only called SAR when they realized Uber doesn't pick up from the summit?
Totally strange story, yeah. And what-with cell service, why wouldn't Uber be available??? :lol:

Interesting that little meltwater pond, right as you crest the rim, was all gone! This is what I found just before 8pm on 8/12...
And 12 hours later, the next morning, despite it never dropping below 40° overnight...
sgyoung wrote:
kepPNW wrote:The footing on Saint Helens is far better than South Sister, agreed on that! Adams is quite different, with (what seems like) most of the day being spent on snow.
Out of curiosity, in your experience does the snow (provided one has adequate traction) make things easier both up and down?
On the same slope, given adequate traction, snow is usually far easier but only before it warms up (destroying the traction). In my experience, which is still somewhat limited compared to many here. I'm not sure if it's something to count on, but it seems that later in the summer the snow on Adams develops "sun cups" that work almost as well as stairs. Lots of photos here.
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 25th, 2016, 6:54 am

maybe an Uber drone?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 25th, 2016, 7:21 am

retired jerry wrote:maybe an Uber drone?
Heh, yeah, they really should've just called Domino's!
Must be a few down there in Bend, eh?
Karl