Nick Eaton Ridge past Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jamesstill

Nick Eaton Ridge past Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek

Post by jamesstill » August 22nd, 2016, 9:53 am

Code: Select all

Thu (8/18) - Eagle Creek Campground to Nick Eaton Ridge (Deadwood Camp)
Fri (8/19) - Deadwood Camp to Wahtum Lake
Sat (8/20) - Wahtum Lake to Big Cedar Springs
Sun (8/21) - Exit to Eagle Creek Campground
My original plan was 5 days with a larger loop going up on Tanner Ridge, past Dublin Lake, and exiting back out that way to Eagle Creek Campground. But on day 3 my right boot began to separate from the sole and so with some duct tape I exited out Eagle Creek on day 4 instead.

Right now Gray's Creek next to Deadwood Camp (up on Nick Eaton Ridge) is nearly dry. There's a few mud puddles and that's about it. Last Thursday was super hot and I ran out of water on the climb up from Herman Creek. I had to put a tin cup under some moss that was dripping water. It took over an hour to get 2 liters of water. There is no water up there until you get back to Wahtum Lake so bring extra. Aside from that hour or so around dusk the mosquitoes weren't that bad.

On day 2 I found a discarded gatorade bottle somewhere between Deadwood Camp and Green Mountain. When I picked it up to pack it out my first thought was "jerk" and then my next thought was "hey I need this if it's gonna be hot!" On this section the vine maple, devil's club, and huckleberry threaten to choke off the trail at many points. Wear gators!

Between Green Mountain and Wahtum Lake the main trail 408 has some serious trail erosion in two places where vine maple has taken over the trail. It's pretty rough going. You're going to be bushwacking through parts of this section. After the Herman Creek cutoff on that old jeep road there are millions of very ripe huckleberries. I ate a ton of 'em but don't worry I saved some for you. :)

Saw other hikers for the first time at Wahtum Lake. I think someone slapped a sign on my back that says "ask me how!" because three different folks asked me how to get to Indian Mt (or Chinidere or Eagle Creek). They realized that their cell phone didn't have service. Most worrying is in all cases I said "let's look at the map" but as I pulled it out they hesitated and just wanted directions. Not sure what to think about that...

At Wahtum Lake I drank two liters of water because I was severely dehydrated. I had been conserving water ever since Deadwood Camp. I hiked down the East Fork trail a bit and camped next to one of the feeders down there. Again more huckleberries right along the trail. Most people passing by ignored them in their haste to get up to the lake so more for me!

On day 3 I went down to the Eagle Creek trail and up the Tanner Butte trail. This trail is seriously overgrown and the going is tough. But there aren't any big blowdowns or anything. About 2 miles up at the crossing over Eagle Creek I noticed the problem with my right boot. So I had to abandon my original plan of going on up to Big Cedar Springs. Later a trail runner came by and told me the springs up there were no place to be. He said there were clouds of mosquitoes and he opted to keep running without water until he got down to the creek rather than stop to fill up. So it's just as well I didn't go up I guess. I stayed overnight at the creek crossing. Unfortunately previous hikers have turned it into a homeless camp looking place. There's a discarded sleeping bag stuffed under a log and tin cans piled next to a fire ring. Depressing. I packed out what I could (little bits of things and torn corners) but left the cans and bag.

On day 4 duct-taped my right boot and went straight out Eagle Creek back to the trailhead. I met three young men (17 or 18?) who were just leaving a campsite. Kudos to them for leaving it spotless! A lot of those spots around the 7.5 camp are depressing and overused. There's a bridge out between the high bridge (mile 5?) and Punchbowl but you can scramble down and over the feeder creek to keep going. Those tourists with inadequate footwear might have to turn around :)

At every single place I camped or saw along the way there was toilet paper left lying on the ground. At two locations plastic tampon containers were left as well. I'm preaching to the choir here but on the off chance that you're a beginner please please please do this: BRING A GALLON-SIZE DOUBLE LOCK ZIPLOCK BAG with you. That TP doesn't magically disappear when you walk away. Put your used TP or tampon container in the bag, squeeze the air out, and zip it tight. No smell, no leak, no worries! Ladies you can also bring a bandana and after dabbing yourself dry just tie it to the outside of your pack. It will dry in the sun no problem. For defecation dig a cathole. It's ok to put biodegradable TP in the cathole. Grab a stick and stir dirt in with the deposit and TP before covering it up.

Chazz

Re: Nick Eaton Ridge past Wahtum Lake to Eagle Creek

Post by Chazz » August 22nd, 2016, 10:13 am

I am amazed by how many people refuse to dig a hole deep enough to bury their waste and TP. It takes all of an extra minute or two. Do your business, top it with the least amount of TP that you need, add some water and a handful of soil, stir with a stick and then cover it up with the rest of the tirt.

If I believed in Hell, I would certainly wish for a special area there for litterbugs and people that ruin the natural settings that they want but won't leave in the same condition for everyone else.

drm

Post by drm » August 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm

Chazz wrote:I am amazed by how many people refuse to dig a hole deep enough to bury their waste and TP. It takes all of an extra minute or two.
But you gotta have something to dig a hole with and trowels are so heavy! ;) Some people insist they can do so with their poles, and when they find they can't, what are they gonna do?

Me, I carry a steel trowel so that I can always dig a proper hole. Even those orange plastic ones can be inadequate sometimes but I couldn't imagine trying to use a trekking pole.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2016, 4:00 pm

I agree, that's awful people leave toilet paper exposed

I think maybe some people think that's the correct thing to do to let other people know there's poop there?

I use my boot and a convenient stick. Dig deep enough so no one will ever see it. It only takes a few weeks for it to start decomposing, maybe a couple months before it's unrecognizable. I usually pee on it to help.

Rarely, when I dig a hole, I find the remains of someone else. In that case, I just cover it back up and move over a bit, no big deal.

Taking your TP out in a bag wouldn't be a big deal. Probably double bag it? Don't they require that on Eagle Creek? And some other places.

Clever to fix your boot with Duct Tape :)