PCT Timberline to Olallie Lake July 25-29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ochocowalker

PCT Timberline to Olallie Lake July 25-29

Post by ochocowalker » July 30th, 2016, 10:00 am

Continued south on PCT from Timberline to Olallie Lake this week.

All water sources on Halfmile's maps are active and have water. The formerly broken water pump at Frog Lake campsite is working; located between camp sites 4 and 6. There's a couple water gaps of 8 to 10 miles between Timothy Lake & Lemiti Meadow.

NOBO thru-hiker slingblade had a bluff charge encounter with a bear at mile 2047 near the spring just north of Jude Lake. There was lots of bear scat on trail around there. Huckleberries are ripe and pretty much everywhere along the trail between Timothy and Olallie Lakes.

I bivied first night at north end of Timothy Lake and the mosquitoes were surprisingly not a problem at all. Similarly at Warm Springs River, which has some excellent cold clear water. The water at Lemiti Creek is starting to stagnate though, no longer flowing. Weather excellent at night; never needed to get out my tarp.

Met a fair number of thru hikers, but also a lot of Oregon section hikers like me. About a dozen hikers were hosted at Olallie Lake by trail angels Daniel & Brenda who are there this week. Got a ride home from there by another hiker who was staying with his wife at a cabin at the resort.

Excellent portion of the trail, but it gets rather sunny and dry as you approach Olallie from the north, with the forest thinning out and turning from mostly fir to mostly pine.
Attachments
jeffsunriseolallielake.png
Sunrise on Jefferson from Olallie Lake
Last edited by ochocowalker on July 30th, 2016, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Once a bear gets hooked on garbage, there's no cure." - Gary Snyder

TheProfessor

Re: PCT Timberline to Olallie Lake July 25-29

Post by TheProfessor » July 30th, 2016, 10:08 am

Thanks for the beta.

How was the blowdown?
I was told it was especially difficult just north of Lemiti Meadows
and prevalent across much of the Warm Springs Res.

Anything on that is a help.

ochocowalker

Post by ochocowalker » July 30th, 2016, 4:37 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Thanks for the beta.

How was the blowdown?
I was told it was especially difficult just north of Lemiti Meadows
and prevalent across much of the Warm Springs Res.

Anything on that is a help.
There was no blowdown remaining at all, in either of those two places, nor in the section from Timberline to Barlow Pass where there was a lot in June. It was obvious there has been recent work from some of the cuts and sawdust I saw esp. in the area from Lemiti down to Jude Lake. Clear hiking now though.
--

TheProfessor

Post by TheProfessor » July 30th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Thanks again.

Glad to hear they got out and cleared the mess.

ochocowalker

Post by ochocowalker » July 30th, 2016, 7:22 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Thanks again.

Glad to hear they got out and cleared the mess.
No problem. It's a nice section. I saw several people with horses and plenty of horseshoe prints in this section, esp near Barlow Pass and just north of Olallie Lake.

Only real blowdown I've had so far last two weeks was between Salvation Spring for four or five miles north towards Wacoma Ridge. But they were clearly actively working on clearing that section starting from Lolo Pass northwards.
--