Three Summits in the Eagle Cap Wilderness 20/23-Jul-2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Three Summits in the Eagle Cap Wilderness 20/23-Jul-2016

Post by VanMarmot » July 25th, 2016, 7:04 am

Last week Born2BBrad and I did a partially on-trail and partially XC loop in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, climbing Sacajawea, Matterhorn, and Eagle Cap along the way.

The TR for this adventure has been moved to HERE.

There are more photos and details HERE.
Last edited by VanMarmot on July 27th, 2016, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bosterson

Re: Three Summits in the Eagle Cap Wilderness 20/23-Jul-2016

Post by Bosterson » July 25th, 2016, 8:55 am

Great trip, I look forward to Brad's TR. Eagle Cap is just the best.

How scrambly did your route over the ridge end up being? I assume you were then too low and didn't pass Razz Lake?
VanMarmot wrote:"Bosterson Gap"
I am also happy to be famous! :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 25th, 2016, 9:27 am

Bosterson wrote:Great trip, I look forward to Brad's TR. Eagle Cap is just the best.

How scrambly did your route over the ridge end up being? I assume you were then too low and didn't pass Razz Lake?
VanMarmot wrote:"Bosterson Gap"
I am also happy to be famous! :lol:
Unofficially naming this pass after you sounds better than something banal like the "Ice Lake - Razz Lake Col" or whatever. Plus future historians will tie themselves in knots wondering who the mysterious Bosterson was...

But fame only lasts 15 minutes (maybe less on social media :? ), so wallow in it while you can. ;)

Going up from Ice Lake over the low point on the ridge was easy, but going down the other side and getting around the other dividing ridge to more level ground involved tedious sidehilling and down climbing. It might have seemed easier if we hadn't already climbed two peaks. We could have easily reached Razz Lake this way but it would have meant having to climb up some. Unit Lake was closer, proved to be a great place to camp, and, next day, was only a short way from the Lakes Trail. Overall, we thought your gap was probably the easier way - when the snow is gone - to get from Ice Lake to Razz Lake.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 25th, 2016, 11:13 am

Great teaser TR Bruce.

Due to circumstances making me super busy, it might be late this week that my TR gets posted. It will be the regular full-meal-deal with stats, charts, Google Earth images, etc.

Hike on!

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports