Blue Basin, Painted Hills, Skylight Cave 5/24 & 5/25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Blue Basin, Painted Hills, Skylight Cave 5/24 & 5/25

Post by pdxgene » May 25th, 2016, 2:11 pm

A pretty tough trio to beat.. I left Tigard at 7a yesterday to drive to Eagle Crest to meet Joan where she took over the driving for the day another boatload of miles east. We arrived sometime after noonish at Blue Basin and headed up the absolutely amazing Overlook Trail. We didn't have the chance to do this one last time but I'd never miss it again. Definitely don't go in the reverse loop order they advise or you'll hate yourself when you start out with what would probably seem like a gazillion switchbacks. The recommended way is far easier and we were awfully glad we went that way. Anyway, enough talk... here we go...

Moving down to the Island In Time Trail..

Time to begin the trip back west... next stop late afternoon/early evening light at the Painted Hills.
Starting off on the Red Hill Trail..

Moving on to the Painted Cove Trail..

As it gets later and later the view from the Overlook Trail looking east with the late day sun behind you to the west and some broken clouds in the sky is just about as good as it gets (well maybe sunset itself but I've never stayed that late)..

And the roadside pullout too as you start to head out..

I figured as long as I was in the area I'd stay out there and hit Skylight Cave in the morning since I want to go there anyway and it's 3 hours from here. I got there at 830 to the trailhead lot. The last 3/4's of a mile on 260 is rough but most any car can handle it slowly. I'd avoid it if it's really muddy. And it is MUCH easier to get in from the 242 side even though longer. I had to wait until about 10a for the sun to really be in the right place and hoping like all $#@! that the clouds would break...
They did...
At the trailhead..

The middle skylight..

Looking straight into it.. Some combination of direct, but filtered, sun and the color of the walls made everything this deep red from this angle only..
I doubt that it is really that color but since you are looking into the sun only the camera sees it.

But this is what you come for, the clouds broke at the perfect time..

Just as I was leaving another lone photographer wandered on in..

Just an amazing day and a half. I was planning on finishing up at Blue Lake but Santiam Pass was totally clouded in and there's no point going there without blue sky. And I realllly can't complain much... :D
Slideshow here... https://picasaweb.google.com/1014808592 ... 3084731345#

Chip Down

Re: Blue Basin, Painted Hills, Skylight Cave 5/24 & 5/25

Post by Chip Down » May 25th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Cave skylights are amazing. Highly recommended for anybody who's never seen one. The Sandy Glacier caves are a great example, but many are more accessible, and almost as cool.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 25th, 2016, 10:05 pm

The blue basin rocks!!
Love that area.

I hiked it clockwise.
Can't remember if that was right or wrong. It was a long while back.

This reminds me to head back that way someday. Fun place

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » May 31st, 2016, 1:40 pm

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting your report!