Oneonta Trailhead loop via Franklin Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TDog31

Oneonta Trailhead loop via Franklin Ridge

Post by TDog31 » May 23rd, 2016, 3:06 pm

Total Miles about 11 miles (pre-map on gmap pedometer had 10.71 - recorded gps on route had 11.48) - Started at Oneonta Trailhead and headed West on Gorge Trail 400 toward Mult. Falls. This part just follows along old Hwy. 30. Hiked up Larch Mountain Trail 441 to the top of Multnomah Falls (did not take short spur to the lookout (would add maybe .50 miles). Lots of paved trail with switchbacks - lots of hikers, even on a weekday. Once you pass Mult. Falls you'll pass Dutchman and Weisdanger Falls - both really nice - as you make your way toward the Franklin Ridge Trail. Took a left onto the Franklin Ridge Trail at about the 4.25 mile mark and hiked about 4 miles through the forest (some turns along the way - was guided well by my gaia gps on iphone 6). Some of the trail here is overgrown with high grass, flowers, etc., but not an issue. Wear your waterproof shoes for this part if it's raining. My lightweight Merrell hikers got soaked - ugh! A bit after the 8 mile mark you hit the Oneonta Creek, then follow the creek back toward Triple Falls and Oneonta Falls. There are some great views out over the canopy of trees on a sunny day. Unfortunately I was in the rain/mist. There is an awesome spot to stop and eat lunch by a bridge just above Triple Falls. Triple Falls itself is quite cool, and there is a nice lookout to sit and look at that as well. Overall a very fun hike, with plenty of things to see. 1st part and last part have all the waterfalls, with a lot of in-forest hiking in between. Elevation reaches its high point at about 2800 feet around mile 6.5. There is a trail wash-out just above Triple Falls which requires some scrambling either above or below the trail to get to the other side. I took the lower route with my mini-poodle because I didn't want her to fall, but either way it wasn't too difficult.

Link to map: https://caltopo.com/m/S1A4
Link to pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142822491 ... 6289585043

squidvicious

Re: Oneonta Trailhead loop via Franklin Ridge

Post by squidvicious » May 26th, 2016, 1:01 pm

May I ask, how long did it take you to do this loop, and at what sort of pace? I have this planned as a step up into somewhat longer (and higher) hikes than I've been doing, and only have a rough idea of when I'd need to get out there to meet my time constraints for when I need to be back home.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 26th, 2016, 5:50 pm

How about the creek crossing on the Multnomah trail, around the high-water trail? I think it's called Winter Creek. Any trouble keeping your feet dry there? I've been known to wear my good boots just for that crossing, but I've wondered it it pretty much drops to a trickle in the dry season.

TDog31

Post by TDog31 » May 26th, 2016, 5:54 pm

squidvicious wrote:May I ask, how long did it take you to do this loop, and at what sort of pace? I have this planned as a step up into somewhat longer (and higher) hikes than I've been doing, and only have a rough idea of when I'd need to get out there to meet my time constraints for when I need to be back home.
It took me and my mini poodle 5 hours w/o too much stopping. I typically hike about 2 miles per hour and didn't really stop more than 15 minutes for lunch. Have fun!

TDog31

Post by TDog31 » May 26th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Chip Down wrote:How about the creek crossing on the Multnomah trail, around the high-water trail? I think it's called Winter Creek. Any trouble keeping your feet dry there? I've been known to wear my good boots just for that crossing, but I've wondered it it pretty much drops to a trickle in the dry season.
Not sure exactly where this is, but my feet would have been dry if not for the high, wet grass when it was raining on the Franklin Ridge Trail.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 26th, 2016, 6:16 pm

That part about things being a bit overgrown also makes me wonder, any tick issues? I had convinced myself I was just not tasty and wasn't worrying about them, until I picked one up somewhere in the gorge the other day, just staying on trail. Didn't find it for hours, and in a place I couldn't reach myself. First one in like 40 years (that I've found, at least). Did not enjoy.

I went up a couple weeks ago to check out that washout on oneonta. Just looked long enough to figure it didn't look too bad to get around with the water down, didn't actually scout out exactly where one would do that. Glad to hear it wasn't a problem for you.
Chip Down wrote:How about the creek crossing on the Multnomah trail, around the high-water trail? I think it's called Winter Creek. Any trouble keeping your feet dry there? I've been known to wear my good boots just for that crossing, but I've wondered it it pretty much drops to a trickle in the dry season.
I know where you mean, and as of a couple weeks ago it was certainly no trickle but no problem to rock hop across. Though then again I was wearing waterproof boots and don't always notice when things get a bit sloshy. I mainly count it a win when I don't trip and fall in.

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » May 27th, 2016, 9:46 am

I did this exact same loop on May 14th, just in the opposite direction. It's a great rainy day hike since you are just in the woods the entire time and what views you do get are pretty sub-par for the gorge. I had no trouble at all at the high water trail. Franklin ridge is a bit overgrown near the top. No ticks, and I'm religious about checking for ticks since I've had lyme disease.

The washout on Oneonta is really easy to get past. There is a boot path above it, but it's probably safer to just do a quick hop down, walk over a few rocks, then climb back up. It shouldn't pose a threat to anyone.

I did the whole loop in about 4:20 but I had a late start and wanted to get back before dark so I was hoofing it. If you want to do this hike I'd budget 5 hours. I didn't take any breaks longer than a minute to catch my breath or tie my shoe. I didn't see a single soul on a busy saturday (granted, it was raining, but still) between Triple falls and Multnomah creek.