Shellrock Mountain to Yellowjacket Viewpoint 05-14-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Shellrock Mountain to Yellowjacket Viewpoint 05-14-16

Post by bobcat » May 18th, 2016, 5:53 pm

On Saturday, I went east to avoid the impending downpours and struck out twice on red herrings before I actually started hiking on a trail.

My first choice was to head to Bald Butte from the northern Surveyor’s Ridge Trailhead. When I got to the trailhead, off of Pine Mont Drive, a sign declared the trail was temporarily closed due to the Garth Timber Sale. Even though there was no logging on a Saturday, I decided not to go rogue although a couple of mountain bikes came along and pedaled right over the red tape.

The next choice was to explore the North Section Line Trail #451, which runs along the boundary of The Dalles Watershed. Watershed signs were blaring ‘No Trespassing’ where the trail was supposed to be and there was not much evidence of usage, so I turned back to the Shellrock Mountain Trailhead, only a tenth of a mile away. Splintercat has a great posting of the Shellrock area on his blog: https://wyeastblog.org/tag/badland-basin/

I hiked south on the Surveyor’s Ridge Trail and then did the mini-bushwhack up Shellrock (‘Shellrock’ was a word old timers used for flaking rock like platy andesite; it may be a corruption of ‘shale rock’). There’s a short passage through a thicket – I took a deer trail up and an elk trail down – and then you’re on open slopes with bitter cherry, pinemat manzanita and even sagebrush. The summit gives commanding views although on this day Mt. Hood was rapidly disappearing and the Washington volcanoes were already buried in clouds. On Shellrock’s west ridge, below the summit, is one of those little volcano monitoring stations that may be recording the current seismic activity on Mt. Hood.
Shellrock Mountain from Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Showy Jacob's ladder (Polemonium pulcherrimum), Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Nearing the top of Shellrock Mountain, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Mt. Hood from Shellrock Mt., Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Volcano Monitoring Station, Shellrock Mt., Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Please do not disturb, Shellrock Mt., Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Shellrock Badlands from Shellrock Mountain, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Back on the Surveyor’s Ridge Trail, I headed north as the rain showers began, first checking out the Badlands by skittering down the slope to visit the largest pinnacle. Beyond the Badlands, I hit the Rimrock area and had lunch at the old Rimrock Fire Lookout site (Both this and the lookout on Shellrock Mt. were decommissioned in the 1940s).
Breccia pillar, Shellrock Badlands, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Breccia formations, Shellrock Badlands, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Lookout telephone wire, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
View to Shellrock Mt. and Mill Creek Buttes from Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Red baneberry (Actaea rubra), Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Roundleaf alumroot (Heuchera cylindrica), Rimrock, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Sickle-pod rock cress (Arabis sparsiflora), Rimrock, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Rimrock Fire Lookout site, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Scarlet gilia (Ipomopsis aggregata), Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Then I continued on the undulating trail to reach a wonderful sunflower meadow (This should be in full bloom in a couple of weeks) to reach the little spur trail out what I call Yellowjacket Viewpoint – named after nearby Yellowjacket Creek. The vista here extends down balsamroot carpeted meadows to the Hood River Valley and, on a clear day, there are great views of the mountains as well.
Common bastard toad-flax (Comandra umbellata), Yellowjacket Viewpoint, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Lupine, Yellowjacket Viewpoint, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Looking up to Yellowjacket Viewpoint, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
At the Olmec head, Yellowjacket Viewpoint, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Paintbrush and balsamroot, Yellowjacket Viewpoint, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
On the way back, I ran into a mother bear and her cub. They both ran off, but the cub decided it would present less of a target by clambering 40 feet up a Douglas-fir. While mom circled anxiously in the brush, I took a couple of snapshots and then left them in peace.
Bear cub, Surveyor's Ridge.png
I made one more stab at the North Section Line Trail on my way out. Bushwhacking down into a bowl near the Shellrock Mountain Trailhead, I found a very clear though little-used trail tread. I followed this down to a junction and soon realized that this must be one of the trails coming out of Gibson Prairie Horse Camp. I went the other way and connected to another tread that runs along the cattle fence on The Dalles Watershed boundary. This is the North Section Line Trail and it should run another 4.5 miles along the ridge to some nice open meadows with views to the east, keeping very close to the watershed boundary. The Forest Service advertises this as a great mountain biking trail, but it is better connected to the horse camp than to the Surveyor’s Ridge Trail; it also looks very unmaintained and there are no signs of any recent human or horse activity.
Tie trail to North Section Line Trail, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
North Section Line Trail #451, Surveyor's Ridge.jpg
Welcome signs, North Section Line Trail.jpg

Limey

Re: Shellrock Mountain to Yellowjacket Viewpoint 05-14-16

Post by Limey » May 19th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Great report. I love exploring that area, there is so much to see. Glad you had a bear sighting, that cub is so cute. We've had quite a few bear encounters around there, they seem to traverse between there and The Dalles watershed.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 20th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Thanks, Bobcat -- great report! The North Section Line Trail is new to me, too -- nice find!

I explored around Rimrock a few years ago, looking for an impressive buttress that shows up in the 1933 lookout survey panos to the southwest of the lookout site properly. It's easily found, but delicate terrain, so let go of the idea of rerouting the Surveyors Ridge trail past that viewpoint. There's also an open knob to the northwest of the lookout and I'm wondering if that's where your meadows were located? It can be seen from the lookout site, but even more plainly from the SW buttress.

Here are some clips from the 1933 images -- very different from today, starting with the rock buttress and Mount Hood to the SW (and the lookout road coming up from Gibson Prairie):

Looking northwest toward a lovely Mt. St. Helens and the smaller knob on that end of the "rim":

...and looking southeast to the cluster of buildings once located in the (now forested) flat spot just below the lookout site, with Mill Creek Buttes in the distance:

Neat area!

Tom :)

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 21st, 2016, 12:05 am

wow splintercat, thanks!!
Those old time photos are great. I hike in that area a lot every year (early season) and love it. Always imagined what it looked like back in the old days.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 24th, 2016, 7:29 am

Splintercat wrote:There's also an open knob to the northwest of the lookout and I'm wondering if that's where your meadows were located?
Yes, probably. The sunflower/balsamroot meadows are between the lookout site and "Yellowjacket Viewpoint." I've never seen so many sunflowers in one place - only one or two blooming last week, though, so I'll have to go back some time to catch the full splendor. That will give me a chance to check out the cliff and the site of the lookout buildings, too!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 24th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I have been up Shellrock Mountain and I really enjoyed it. I would like to try for "Yellowjacket Viewpoint" despite the name. :| Could you give coordinates for that?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 25th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Webfoot wrote:I would like to try for "Yellowjacket Viewpoint" despite the name. Could you give coordinates for that?
45.5044, -121.5309

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 26th, 2016, 9:19 am

Thank you!