Flatiron Rock 2/8-2/9

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Flatiron Rock 2/8-2/9

Post by dfs1109 » February 9th, 2016, 8:53 pm

First time for me in Eastern Oregon. I went east about 15 miles from Bend to Flatiron Rock TH located right off hwy 20. Being this was last minute hike I walked in 2 miles and setup camp. I woke up the next day and a friend met me the following morning.

Temperture was 68 and it got below 30 degrees last night. Woke up this morning and the temp went from 30 at 7am to 43 at 8am! The hike is very simple and flat. Mostly sandy with juniper trees all around you. The hightlight was Flatiron rock and Badlands Rock with wonderful views of the cascade peaks from a different side than I have ever seen before.

From TH I took the Ancient Juniper TR to the Flatiron Rock TR and setup camp. The next morning I made a left to follow Flatiron Rock TR. At the Castle Rock TR junction take time to explore the Flatiron Rock it is well worth walking all the way through it and take in the views. Back to the Castle Rock TR, take a right to follow to Castle Rock and then split left on Badlands Rock TR. Soon you will see a glimpse of the lava up crop. At the junction I made a right onto Badlands TR heading back towards the hwy and TH. Made a right at Homestead TR which will complete your lollipop loop. Once back at the Ancient Juniper TR and Flatiron Rock TR simply make a left to take you back to the TH.

With some exploring the loop is about 12 miles with very little elevation.

Hint... zoom in.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

retired jerry

Re: Flatiron Rock 2/8-2/9

Post by retired jerry » February 9th, 2016, 9:00 pm

I've been eyeing that area

Is there any drinking water anywhere or do you have to haul it all in (in your car)?

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 10th, 2016, 11:16 am

retired jerry wrote:I've been eyeing that area

Is there any drinking water anywhere or do you have to haul it all in (in your car)?

I didn't see any signs of water. I think your best chance is Dry River but judging by the name I wouldn't expect any water. Nothing other than a kiosk with a map and parking at the TH. Everything is flat and with the temperature right now I didn't need a lot of water. I think I used more for food than actual consumption.

Tips: Trail is crowded but after the first 2 miles the crowds will thin out the further in you go. Scenery gets repetitive so hit all the landmarks on the map marked with "X". This helped me break things up and made the hike worth it. You can camp anywhere really but there are some used locations at Flatiron and at Badlands Rock. If you are concerned about coyotes then I wouldn't recommend it. I felt like they were zeroing in on me through out the night and got pretty close.

Let me know if you want some company, I wanted to go further in but because of my hiking partner was late in meeting me the next day I had to shorten my hike.

Daniel

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 10th, 2016, 2:54 pm

there are Coyotes all over, watching you

a couple times now, on the way to Yocum Ridge, I camped overnight, and these Coyotes (?) walked by and yelped at me. Scared the shit out of me. Middle of the night. I just saw glowing eyeballs.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 11th, 2016, 12:10 am

retired jerry wrote:there are Coyotes all over, watching you

a couple times now, on the way to Yocum Ridge, I camped overnight, and these Coyotes (?) walked by and yelped at me. Scared the shit out of me. Middle of the night. I just saw glowing eyeballs.
Well Ive never heard so many before! haha

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 11th, 2016, 8:19 am

Thanks for this TR. We'll be heading up there in May as part of our efforts to visit all of Oregon's wilderness areas (Oregon Badlands BLM). Now we'll have to watch our backs re: those coyotes... :?