Silver King Lake via Bagby Hot Springs

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Silver King Lake via Bagby Hot Springs

Post by bobcat » September 30th, 2015, 3:39 pm

The last time I did this in and out jaunt along the Hot Springs Fork of the Collawash River, it was fall and there had been rain the previous night. The same was true this time, but I thought I would be a little smarter. The Bagby Hot Springs Trail in this section of the Bull of the Woods Wilderness is not regularly maintained past the wilderness boundary and the overhanging vegetation provides a continuous dousing. I hiked the trail in full rain gear (unlike the last time), even though the sun was out, but in fact only delayed the inevitable and by the time I arrived at Silver King Lake, I was soaked to the skin (Confirmed: Wet vegetation is a far more formidable foe than a constant rain).

Bagby was just ramping up for a busy day as I passed through. The 1 ½ miles in to the hot springs is a wonderland of tall trees, pristine creeks, lush undergrowth, and this time, some liberal sprinklings of sparkle dust. The “new” bathhouses at Bagby are looking a little worn and creaky these days, and the operation has been turned over to the Northwest Forest Conservancy, which requires a $5 soaking fee, payable at the trailhead. Clothing is optional only in the bathhouses themselves, a “stark” contrast to the other times I have been there.
Footbridge, Nohorn Creek, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Big trees, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Hot Springs Fork, Collawash River, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Sparkle-dusted stump, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Pool, Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Footbridge, Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Bathhouses, Bagby Hot Springs.jpg
Hot Spring, Bagby Hot Springs.jpg
Guard Cabin, Bagby Hot Springs.jpg
I hiked past the old guard cabins and into the old growth of the wilderness. I might as well have stood for a time under Shower Creek Falls as the rhodies and vine maples farther up the trail were going to provide me with much the same treatment. I kept going up the Hot Springs Fork, crossing a series of creeks perhaps named after the girlfriends/wives/mothers of lonely early Forest Service workers: Doris, Ora, Alice, Pal, Betty, and Ester. Most of these had little signs a few years ago, but Pal is the only tag remaining. Between Pal and Betty Creeks, there’s a high viewpoint from which Whetstone Mountain is visible. Betty Creek is crossed where it meets the Hot Springs Fork and soon after that, I came to the Hot Springs ford – easy in the summer/early fall, a lot more difficult at high water.
Shower Creek Falls, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Vine maples on talus, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Above Alice Creek, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Pal Creek sign, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Confluence of Betty Creek and the Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Upper crossing, Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
The route headed up the slope from here away from the creek. It’s an easy bushwhack through waist-high huckleberries to a twin waterfall that is visible from the trail. Higher up, there are glimpses of Silver King Mountain’s rugged north face. I crossed a few more small creeks and walked through the middle of Howdy Doody Camp before catching the spur trail to Silver King Lake, where I tarried just long enough to have lunch.
Twin Falls, Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Green dog lichen (Peltigera aphthosa), Hot Springs Fork, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Kauffman's forest amanita (Amanita silvicola), Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Conk, Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Woolly gomphus (Turbinellus floccosus), Bagby Hot Springs Trail.jpg
Reflection, Silver King Lake.jpg
Bagby was a lot more crowded when I hiked back through, with quite a few families with young children walking in – some of them to picnic but not to soak. I saw an empty bath stall and grabbed it: it took quite a bit longer to peel off and then pull on my cold drenched garments than the brief soak that I indulged in!
Cedar tub, Bagby Hot Springs.jpg
About 15 miles in and out.

miah66

Re: Silver King Lake via Bagby Hot Springs

Post by miah66 » October 1st, 2015, 12:38 pm

Awesome, Bobcat! I did this hike in the spring and we cleared ALOT of downed trees and branches off the trail beyond Shower creek falls. Still lots of brush as you found.

I also found that "Twin falls". Is that an official name? Also, where is "howdy doody camp"?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 1st, 2015, 2:06 pm

You can see "Howdy Doody Camp" referenced in the old Forest Service Info sheet here:

http://www.trailadvocate.org/wp-content ... 09/544.pdf

It is listed at the 7.0 mile mark from the northern start of the trail. .3 miles from the Junction to Silver King Lake.

Not much, just a wide spot in the trail, really with a couple old campsites (this photo was from 2010):
P8210033.jpg
Howdy Doody Camp
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 1st, 2015, 2:43 pm

OH YEA! That site was really actually very nice. It was a lovely spot, for sure...but right on the trail practically.

Here's the view up to Silver King mtn from near that spot:

Doris Creek sign:

Encroaching brush:

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 1st, 2015, 7:01 pm

miah66 wrote:we cleared ALOT of downed trees and branches off the trail
Well, thanks much for that. There are still a few downed trees, most of them looking fairly fresh, but not a huge impediment. The brush has been that way on that trail for ages. It would take a real crew to prune it back.

Twin Falls is my name - I can't find it recorded anywhere. Your photo has it in much better spate. I did not see a sign for Doris Creek this time although several of the creeks were still labeled a few years ago. Also, Rob's picture of Howdy Doody is of better days: the log benches are rolled back and the camp doesn't seem to have had any occupants for a while.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » October 1st, 2015, 8:40 pm

Nice trip Bobcat! Those vine maples are looking great. I think bagby is the only TH in BOTW that I still haven't hiked from. Its reputation for car clouting has kept me at bay :lol: Pretty much all the trails out there need to be brushed. It's amazing how drenching the wet brush can be!

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » October 2nd, 2015, 8:04 am

Nice report Bobcat! I also did this back in August for my book and found it to be beautiful, far more than I was even expecting. We cut back some brush too, but there's just so much. Maybe some day next year I'll get a crew up this way and actually do some work - the Mazamas are starting to branch out into actual trail maintenance, and I've told everybody involved that the Bull of the Woods is a place that needs some TLC.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com