McCall Point 7/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sgyoung

McCall Point 7/21

Post by sgyoung » July 27th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I took a quick trip up to McCall Point last week with my wife and father in law (having been to the Gorge and surrounding areas many times, we're now starting to bring our families to show them why we regularly vacation in the area. Sorry for bringing more tourists to the area). It was a nice and quick outing that afforded some excellent views and a good introduction to the Columbia Gorge and local volcanoes.

Before getting to the pictures, I wanted to note that several signs saying something like "trial closed for restoration" were posted along the route, but all of them seemed to be placed in front of unofficial boot paths jutting off from the main trail and were occasionally accompanied by strategically placed piles of debris and logs. My honest interpretation of these signs was that the primary trial to the top was open (and there were several other hikers on the main trail) but that any off trail excursions were prohibited. If I got this wrong then please let me know here and I'll take down the TR so as not to encourage others to hike a closed trail (or leave the TR posted but amended with a note about the trail being closed if that seems better).

Anyway, here are some pictures from the top of McCall Point:

Looking over at Mt Hood. Despite being a bit overcast, the clouds were high enough to allow unobstructed views of the summit and provided welcome shade (I sun burn easily...)

Looking west down the Columbia toward Hood River, the bridge visible in the bottom right:

Across the river to Mt Adams:

Looking east, towards the area affected by last year's Rowena fire. The last time I was on McCall point was last year on the day before the fire broke out. The damage was notable, but perhaps less so than I feared:

And south from the summit, where a small stand of seemingly burned trees can be seen very close by:

Overall, the trip was a lot of fun. Didn't see any snakes but my wife was stung by a wasp on her arm. She handled it well, with the appropriate amount of swearing before continuing on to the summit. But, I suppose a warning of somewhat aggressive wasps is warranted here.

justpeachy

Re: McCall Point 7/21

Post by justpeachy » July 27th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Those "trail closed" signs are there because they just re-routed the trail a few months ago. They covered up the old parts of the trail that are now bypassed and put up those signs, which are in reference to those old parts, not the new main trail.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » July 28th, 2015, 11:47 am

justpeachy wrote:Those "trail closed" signs are there because they just re-routed the trail a few months ago. They covered up the old parts of the trail that are now bypassed and put up those signs, which are in reference to those old parts, not the new main trail.
Thank makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't too worried about having traipsed all over a closed trail, but also figured the signs were worth including the trip report.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Noteworthy though is the fact that the trail to the summit (McCall Point) is seasonally closed in the spring (before May 1).
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

markesc

Post by markesc » July 29th, 2015, 8:34 am

That sucks about the bee sting!

I've noticed the bees seem especially aggressive this year!! Anyone else notice?

funhog

Post by funhog » July 30th, 2015, 3:40 pm

I just did an overnighter Tuesday at Oval Lake on the Fret Creek Trail. In the morning I hiked over to the Flag Point Lookout. The fellow posted there, Booji, has manned the tower for the last five seasons. I was there for about twenty minutes and he had a fly-swatter in his hand the whole time, killing yellowjackets constantly. He said that he's never seen them in anything like this year's numbers before.

Plus, last week I was hiking with my niece in Indian Heaven. Minding her own business, hiking down the trail, she was stung by something of the yellow and black variety through her yoga pants! She ended up with an allergic reaction, a swollen knee that has kept her off trail... So, yes I think the numbers are high.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 31st, 2015, 9:49 am

We met Booji back in 2013, quite a character!

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors