Munra Point 7/11/15 Dry but cloudy Summer day

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Granola22

Re: Munra Point 7/11/15 Dry but cloudy Summer day

Post by Granola22 » July 20th, 2015, 12:13 pm

neilsonw wrote:I just did Munra yesterday for my first time... man, it's a fun scramble up but very difficult on the way down! Did you do anything to make it more manageable? And thanks for sharing :)
Rough on what? Balance or knees? :lol:
The embedded rocks are what you should be walking on on the way back down. The dirt obviously has no traction what so ever. Both Adam and I have had our butts kiss the ground just once on our way back down. My ankle hasn't been feeling too well ever since :oops:
Some people brought trekking poles.. I don't know if that would really help in this situation though. I also saw people trail running down. I don't know if they're really human or not.. they went by me too fast to get out my camera to catch a video haha
I guess it also goes with the tip of NOT walking on your heels. Body should be slanted uphill when you go down (guess it helps if you snowboard or something. I don't) (Toes should be trying to dig into the ground)
Last, but not least, it's a slow pace.

Kerraeb

Re: Munra Point 7/11/15 Dry but cloudy Summer day

Post by Kerraeb » July 27th, 2015, 7:49 pm

I did it yesterday for the first time. I'm still a novice hiker, but went with a very experienced guy. There were times he was below me and guided my foot to each next foot hold. It was freaky going down those rocky walls when you've never done any rock climbing or "scrambling" before.

NO DOGS! Please. There are so many opportunities for them to get hurt.

I advise newbies to not go it alone. The margin of error is just too small.

Today my quads, glutes, and even lats are speaking to me a little bit.

But, what a cool and gorgeous hike. :)
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.