Staying cool at Eliot Moraine (July 1)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Staying cool at Eliot Moraine (July 1)

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

I'm taking a "working vacation" this week (home improvement project), but carved out Wednesday for an uncrowded visit to the Eliot Moraine loop. I'd been up there a couple weeks ago, but on Wednesday I was doing some trail maintenance (as this is one of my adopted trails) and the temps looked enticing at that elevation. While it was brilliantly sunny, it stayed in the 70s, and a nice breeze picked up by early afternoon -- so really quite lovely compared to 90s down in Portland! Some photos from the trip... starting with the hike up Tilly Jane canyon, where I was following a pair of snowboarders headed to Cooper Spur:

...and beyond the Cooper Spur shelter...

...and to the switchbacks on Cooper Spur...

...where I veered off to my photo haunts along the rim:

...and as those clouds to the left of the mountain emerged to finally consume the summit, I shot some close-ups of the Eliot Glacier, a spectacle to behold, as always:

...and St. Helens, which had what looked like a steam plume...? Probably just a cloud...

The tundra slopes above the treelike were buzzing with bees and wonderfully sweet-smelling, thanks to thousands of these dwarf lupine (and I really tried not to step on them in my size 12 flower-crushers):

Lots of these, too -- I think this is sulphur flower:

Wandered about, including a stop at one of my favorite krummholz trees -- a whitebark pine that is easily a couple hundred years old:

...and an iPhone pano looking the other way -- the view the old tree enjoys:

Next, I backtracked down to the climbers trail that heads over to the Eliot Glacier from the shelter and started down the moraine trail -- lots of tiny flowers blooming amid the rocks:

I finally took a moment to photograph the unlikely windbreak/shelter just off the crest of the moraine, about halfway back to Cloud Cap -- the huge boulder here seems to be teetering and ready to fall at any moment... not sure I'd spend the night under there..! :o :shock: :lol:

More moraine views of the mountain and flowers along the way...

....and a final iPhone view of the mighty Eliot Glacier and Eliot Branch emerging from the terminus:

Pulled these signs down at the trailhead -- really bad idea to tell people this crossing is "open"! Wow. Yet, someone took the time to make these signs and staple them up with a staple gun.

....finally, on the way down the Cloud Cap Road I came across several Mount Hood (aka Cascade or Washington) lilies -- love these! Stopped and took photos... and took in the amazing fragrance!

...and then I came back to civilization and resumed installing insulation and drywall... :roll: :cry: :lol:

-Tom :)

mjirving

Re: Staying cool at Eliot Moraine (July 1)

Post by mjirving » July 3rd, 2015, 9:55 pm

Great shots Tom! I'm sorry I missed meeting you by a day. Also...thanks for the ID on the Lily as I saw those over in the Muddy Fork and didn't know what they were. And lastly...on the signs, when I first saw it I was confused thinking Mt Adams as I was there last week and can confirm that the "Round the Mountain" trail (as it's named that there) is in fact open! This sign guy just was off by 50 miles or so in his helpfulness. :lol: ;)

Mike

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 4th, 2015, 7:25 am

Thanks this is so helpful. I had been thinking about this area to beat the heat. Your report gives me the boost I need to do this after the weekend.
Beautiful shot of the glacier.
Woodswalker

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 4th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Thanks, WW! :-)

@Mike: I had the same reaction to the "Round-the-Mountain" in lieu of Timberline Trail -- what the heck? I guess a newbie with a sharpie and extra paper plates..? :lol:

Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2015, 5:06 am

Round-the mountain - that's the trail around Adams :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 5th, 2015, 9:56 am

retired jerry wrote:Round-the mountain - that's the trail around Adams :)
Even though it isn't, really. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 10th, 2015, 6:19 am

I was just up there yesterday. It was still fantastic and bloom is still happening, although I was mostly focused on the glaciers and the moraine. The lupines are good in places but a little frizzled in others. Here was a fun one I saw.
One of these things is not like the other ones:

Woodswalker