GoalTech hikes Mt Adams 360 - Day 2, 6/27/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTech hikes Mt Adams 360 - Day 2, 6/27/15

Post by mjirving » June 29th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Hi All!

Here is day-2 blog post from my Mt Adams 360 CCW hike this weekend in 3 days. We picked up the unofficial trail out of Avalanche Valley up to Devils Gardens (our surprisingly long climb of the morning) including one small snow field that would be tough if icy. Then down the northern flanks through some more wet-foot water crossings and through a bonanza of Lupine and Paintbrush like I've never seen anywhere, onto the PCT south across more big water, a short but heavy rain shower and then camp at Sheep Lake. We finally met our first hiker after a day and a half on trail. It was another great adventure for a day on the mountain.

Check out the blog post for more detail and tons of pictures:
http://goaltechhikes.blogspot.com/2015/ ... day-2.html

Here's one to tide you over...my buddy going north out of Devils Gardens with Rainier and Goat Rocks on the horizon:

Enjoy!
Mike (aka GoalTech)

retired jerry

Re: GoalTech hikes Mt Adams 360 - Day 2, 6/27/15

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2015, 6:31 am

weird how everything is open but not too many other people. They must be expecting normal snow year.

drm

Post by drm » June 30th, 2015, 6:37 am

No Jerry, they are intimidated by the heat. It seems that in these parts, going hiking on a hot day is the best way to avoid the crowds.

Oh and GoalTech, got a light chuckle from your blog entry when you mentioned dayhikers who were camped nearby!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 30th, 2015, 6:49 am

Oops...must have been my hazy brain after only 3-4 hours of sleep :-) I fixed it. They didn't have packs or anything, so I think I thought they were day-hikers when we met, but then found out later they were above. Plus they looked so clean! ;-)

Also...the threat of thundershowers may have kept some other hikers at bay???

Mike

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » June 30th, 2015, 7:16 am

Thanks for a great TR. I'll ask you my favorite question this time of year: how were the mosquitoes? I've had some horrible times on the north side of Adams (especially with my kids), and I'm guessing they're swarming pretty bad right now.

Also, on the route from Bird Creek to Avalanche Valley, did you give any consideration to the "low route" by going around Little Mt. Adams? I've read about that, but it seems like the way you took is the more common one. Thanks.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2015, 7:18 am

you can backpack, camp for a couple nights, and day hike from there :)

Chazz

Post by Chazz » June 30th, 2015, 7:42 am

Mike... how did the polycry groundcloth plan work with the breadclip reinforcements? I liked the idea but I'm wondering how it worked in practice.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 30th, 2015, 5:48 pm

how were the mosquitoes?
Mosquitos were there but not raging. In Avalanche Valley we hardly noticed them but did try to stay covered up. We probably made a mistake camping at Sheep Lake the second night with all that stagnant water and they were worse there. I'm a huge advocate of Permethrin-sprayed clothes and wearing long pants and long sleeves and then a buff around my neck in camp with a hat and that usually is all I need. I did use my head net at Sheep Lake, but it was border line that I needed it.
how did the polycry groundcloth plan work with the breadclip reinforcements?
My Polycryo groundcloth with edges folded over on double-stick tap with plastic bread clip reinforcements inside duct tape has been working like a dream. Keeps it perfectly in place even in wind and weighs hardly anything. Much better than no bread clips last season!
did you give any consideration to the "low route" by going around Little Mt. Adams?
No, I talked to others who had done that and they said that much bushwhacking was involved and pretty rugged. Plus...going up and over was one of the highlights of the trip!

Thanks for the comments...Mike

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 1st, 2015, 3:29 pm

I was with a group that did the loop on June 27th and we took the low route down through Hellroaring and Big Muddy Valleys and it was pretty burly. Endless moraines to cross and some very technical traverses and descents (including some actual rock climbing). Big Muddy was impossible to cross so we had to go all the way up and over the glacier. If you know the perfect route through the area then you can probably avoid a lot of the bushwhacking and make better time than we did. The off-trail section took us about six hours to get through so it's pretty slow. However, the views through the valleys were incredible and, despite the difficulties, the route was a lot of fun.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 1st, 2015, 3:39 pm

Our route sounds easy by comparison. We crossed the Big Muddy right below the glacier as it came out just to the peak-side of the gigantic rock on its shoreline. The most challenging crossing of the loop, but not by much.

Mike