North Cascades Nat'l Park hikes (Part 3-Blue Lake)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

North Cascades Nat'l Park hikes (Part 3-Blue Lake)

Post by miah66 » June 26th, 2015, 9:29 am

Blue Lake is a short but sweet hike that we did the morning before we left the National Park and headed East on our journey. If you're ever up that way, I recommend stopping at the overlook at Washington Pass near the trailhead. It's a short walk from the parking lot and there are great views of the fabulous peaks near the highway.

Liberty Bell & Early Winter Spires

My friend, who is a climber, loves this area as the peaks here are easily accessible, at most just a few miles from the highway. In fact, on the trail to Blue Lake, we encountered mostly climbers in the parking lot on their way to climb Liberty Bell or Early Winter Spires, which are accessed from the same trailhead.

The light wasn't really good for photos at this time of the day, but hey, gotta work w/ what you've got!

The trail is pretty much a straightforward, gentle climb through the trees until it comes to a "meadow", which is basically an avalanche chute as the broken trees can attest. There are views back towards the highway of other peaks to the S. Check out that green meadow towards the left!

A family of 3 climbers were hiking ahead of us. The youngest was around 10 years old, and they were on their way to climb Liberty Bell! Pretty amazing!

Finally you arrive at an outlet stream of Blue Lake and the first thing we saw was an old cabin. It's hard to know how old it is, but there was evidence of the areas mining past scattered around.

Pano:

It's amazing to me to think of old prospectors living up here all alone and before much settlement or exploration this way. The North Cascades highway we had been driving on all week was only completed in 1972. Even though the route had been used for thousands of years by Native Americans for trade w/ the Pacific Coast, it took almost 80 years to complete a road across this rugged landscape.

The lake was still thinly frozen over.

We spent some time lounging in the sun, enjoying the rare opportunity to be basking in nature on a weekday.

The water must've been near freezing, but we could see fish swimming around, occasionally jumping to snag a mosquito.

There's no camping at the lake, but it would be easy to imagine sitting there for a long time.

We did, actually. Then it was time to journey onward.

We got back to the car and headed East, towards the town of, get this: Mazama, WA.

Noteworthy, according to Wikipedia: "Locally, the name is pronounced to rhyme with "Alabama": /mə.ˈzæm.ə/ mə-zam-ə. This is not the same as Oregon’s Mount Mazama, pronounced with a broader central vowel: /mə.ˈzɑː.mə/ mə-zah-mə."

We stopped here for a swim in the aptly named Early Winter Creek, and when we had been chilled enough, we continued on to the town of Winthrop, WA. Winthrop is another of those themed towns like Leavenworth, WA where the city council got together back in the 70's as they new Hwy 20 was being completed and tried to find a way to boost tourism. What better way than to remodel the entire town to look like some other place? :roll: Winthrop was a thriving metropolis on this afternoon. Many foreign speaking tourists decked out in Helly Hansen, were standing in line for ice cream, scurrying to buy leather handbags, etc.

It looks like an old Western town, but alas, it's completely fake!

This town is as fake as my muscles!:

We had a real meal at Old Schoolhouse Brewery downtown and then continued driving, hoping to find a spot to camp for the evening near Twisp, WA.

Continued in Part 4....
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Re: North Cascades Nat'l Park hikes (Part 3-Blue Lake)

Post by drm » June 26th, 2015, 9:47 am

I remember reading about that road and how long it took to get built. There were technical challenges, but the political ones were worse. Neighboring counties couldn't agree on the route, and since the road has to meet at the county boundary, it didn't get built until the state finally decided to step in with more state money, which allowed it to choose the route.

The North Cascades are spectacular. If I have to sum it up somehow, I would say that it is the prevalence of 360 degrees of mountains in so many places along with so many sharp peaks. Around here we have these amazing volcanoes sticking up and moderate altitude forests in between them. In the North Cascades so many viewpoints are in the middle of a sea of mountains, including so many sharp spires.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 26th, 2015, 11:35 am

miah66 wrote: Check out that green meadow towards the left!
I've been in that meadowy area, it was beautiful! The peak above is Cuthroat, there is a climbers path that leaves Hwy 20 and passes thru meadows on the way to the base of the South Buttress route.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » June 28th, 2015, 9:45 am

Thanks for all these great TRs. The drive to North Cascades always scares me off, but I swear I've got to do it.

Which backpack trip would you recommend as the premier one you did?

Also, how were the bug levels? Thanks.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » June 28th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Wow! This trip looks like so much fun! I like the old cabin. It's always fun to run across some history in the wood. Hopefully I'll get up there some day.
~Dan

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 29th, 2015, 11:25 am

cunningkeith wrote:Thanks for all these great TRs. The drive to North Cascades always scares me off, but I swear I've got to do it.

In addition to the hikes Miah did, I would highly recommend looking at Park Butte/Railroad Grade, Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm and/or Hidden Lake Peaks as possible backpacking or dayhiking options if you are planning a trip along the North Cascades Highway. All 3 are awesome.

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 29th, 2015, 11:43 am

cunningkeith wrote:Thanks for all these great TRs. The drive to North Cascades always scares me off, but I swear I've got to do it.

Keith, I would say don't let the drive scare you. It's not too bad at all (once you're past Seattle! :lol: ) The premier backpack I did is upcoming in part 5 - Phelps Creek Trail to Spider Gap. Stay tuned! :D There are so many good ones up there, but b/c it was mid-June and there was still snow above 6000', I didn't commit to do any of them as most involve crossing multiple high passes and/or raging rivers. I would recommend the book "Backpacking Washington" by Craig Romano, which has many multi-day trips in the North Cascades that you can do now that the snow is definitely on its way out.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
In addition to the hikes Miah did, I would highly recommend looking at Park Butte/Railroad Grade, Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm and/or Hidden Lake Peaks as possible backpacking or dayhiking options if you are planning a trip along the North Cascades Highway. All 3 are awesome.
Those are all hikes/backpacks that I considered and I plan on doing each of them on future trips there. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, it's really neat that you recognized that area up by Cutthroat Peak, another destination I badly wanted to check out but didn't have time for.
Last edited by miah66 on June 29th, 2015, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 29th, 2015, 12:26 pm

[quote="miah66"]The premier backpack I did is upcoming in part 5 - Phelps Creek Trail to Spider Gap. Stay tuned! :D

Oh, looking forward to that one! Great area.