Aspen Butte (Mountain Lakes Wilderness) 06-Jun-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Aspen Butte (Mountain Lakes Wilderness) 06-Jun-2015

Post by VanMarmot » June 7th, 2015, 7:24 am

Aspen Butte (8208') is the high point in the 6 mi square Mountain Lakes Wilderness just W of Klamath Falls. In 2007, Terry Richard (The Oregonian's outdoor writer) climbed the butte and described this wilderness as ...unappealling, although the lakes down below must have their charms. :( I thought this comment was somewhat harsh and dismissive - given how little wilderness there is, and how hard it is to get, dissing what we have seems counter-productive. Sullivan, on the other hand, describes the loop trail as gorgeous. Never having visited a wilderness area that we couldn't find to love in some way, we headed out to test the charms of the Mountain Lakes for ourselves. There are three THs into this wilderness - Varney Creek is the quickest way to the lakes, while Clover Creek is the shortest path to Aspen Butte.

The Clover Creek trail - some recent blowdown but otherwise easy to follow, climbs steadily but gently up into the wilderness,

past a small meadow,

and then a small unnamed pond.

Just past this pond, we branched right on a now unmaintained trail that, until 1985 or so, was shown on the map and was the way to the loop trail and the butte. This is the route described in SummitPost. Unfortunately, there are two other trails in this area - one built in 1995 or so and now seemingly abandoned but still on the map and a new trail that is not mapped - that can cause confusion. Not too surprisingly, we encountered three mapless hikers who we had to assist with directions. But the 1985 trail is pretty easy to follow to the rim - it's old school and well marked with blazes -

and to a view of Lake Harriette - the largest lake in the wilderness - sitting below Mt. Harriman. That lake looked pretty appealing to us. ;)

From there, an OK use trail follows the ridge up toward the summit (arrow),

mostly over dirt with only a few, minor boulder fields to cross.

There were no impediments along the ridge and we were soon on the summit - where we found that Aspen was apparently spelled differently in 1920.

We had lunch on the summit, drinking in the HUGE VIEWS in all directions!

McLoughlin, Whiteface Pk (in front of McLoughlin), and the rim we just hiked,

Upper Klamath Lake and South Pass Lake,

Mt. Shasta,

and a butterfly (arrow) that photo-bombed me.

All too soon, it was time to head back down.

But we took time to stop by Clover Lake, which is just N of where we'd turned off on the old trail to the rim. Sullivan describes this lake as ...small, disappointing... which, again, seems overly harsh. It's the only lake on this side of the wilderness, has nice camp sites, and there are plenty of fish in it. Plus its full of WATER - which is in short supply down here this summer.

A great hike (10.5 mi RT, 2700' EG) on good trails through a pleasant area to outstanding views! :D :D Sorry, Terry, we like reading about your travels and trip suggestions, but simply can't see the Mountain Lakes Wilderness as "unappealing." But, to be fair, we're going to force ourselves to hike in from Varney Creek to see if those lakes "have their charms" or not. ;)

Last edited by VanMarmot on June 26th, 2015, 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aimless

Re: Aspen Butte (Mountain Lakes Wilderness) 06-Jun-2015

Post by Aimless » June 7th, 2015, 8:37 am

Another great trip report, Van Marmot! Mountain Lakes Wilderness via Varney Creek TH was already on my list for this summer. By the looks of your photos, the snow down there is within an eyelash of being entirely melted already. Maybe I ought to push my plans up and get down there before someone starts a campfire and a spark escapes!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 7th, 2015, 9:55 am

Aimless wrote:Another great trip report, Van Marmot! Mountain Lakes Wilderness via Varney Creek TH was already on my list for this summer. By the looks of your photos, the snow down there is within an eyelash of being entirely melted already. Maybe I ought to push my plans up and get down there before someone starts a campfire and a spark escapes!
I'd push your plans up - there's no snow below 6000' and that above is confined to certain aspects. All the lake trails are completely open. Unfortunately - as you suggest - our fire season has already started and we're bracing for a bad one. So get here while it's still green!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 7th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Thanks for the nudge. I have a weeklong mid-June slot open that I had been planning to use to explore some areas around Mt. Jefferson I haven't yet visited. I'm switching my plans to southern Oregon now. That area's been on my list for quite a while and it is time to see some of the sights down there before the wildfire smoke hangs heavy in the air. Even if you guys get lucky and escape a big fire, Cailfornia by itself could provide all the smoke needed to leave a pall over half of Oregon. :(

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » June 8th, 2015, 6:29 am

Cool TR! I've eyeballed this place as a quick getaway when visiting family in Grants Pass... you've certainly helped bump it up the list!

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 8th, 2015, 7:08 am

Another solid report from our star "Field Editor"! What awesome views. Even the butterfly photobomber... :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » June 8th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Nice looking area. Great you two made it up there before the inevitable wildfires break out and obscure the views and drop the air quality. Love those overlooked "pocket" wilderness areas written off by others.
VanMarmot wrote:In 2007, Terry Richard (The Oregonian's outdoor writer) climbed the butte and described this wilderness as ...unappealling, although the lakes down below must have their charms. :( I thought this comment was somewhat harsh and dismissive - given how little wilderness there is, and how hard it is to get, dissing what we have seems counter-productive.
Well said. I find this sentiment frustrating to read, as well. By writing such things, there seems to be the insinuation that wilderness (and the outdoors as a whole) was meant to "serve" us for our recreational and viewing pleasure. There's nothing that should be inherently "appealing" about wilderness because to say so is missing the point as to why the very designation exists.

For me, it's other people and more notably their actions, that interfere with how I "enjoy" the outdoors. It's never the area itself that would do that.
VanMarmot wrote:Never having visited a wilderness area that we couldn't find to love in some way, we headed out to test the charms of the Mountain Lakes for ourselves.
Actually, I tend to chide myself while I'm outside as I'm frequently saying to myself there's never an area I didn't like!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 8th, 2015, 2:41 pm

In writing that quote Terry Richards was approaching his job as if he were a movie critic, not an outdoor enthusiast, but his actual job probably combines elements of both.

For my part, I've never relied on a 'review' of a wilderness area to decide if I ought to visit it. By the same token, I am perfectly happy to hike a trail with no destination in mind, just a time frame for when I need to return. There doesn't need to be a 'viewpoint' or a 'feature' for me to enjoy being out in nature. I just like to get out and get away from places dominated by humans and their works.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 8th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Very nice report and great photos, too! I'm surprised at Terry Richard's comments: I hiked a lollypop route up Varney Creek in Aug. of '96 and thought the scenery was wonderful and the lakes very inviting. I did a CW loop around Lake Harriett and then up the trail to backtrack to Aspen Butte and then past Whiteface Peak and down to Varney Creek again. From the lakes the cliffs are really spectacular. The route along Varney Creek got a little boring, as I remember but the rest made up for it.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » June 8th, 2015, 5:01 pm

I can see why Terry Richard might say that. Some wildernesses are more scenic and appealing than others, but Mountain Lakes looks very appealing from your photos VanMarmot!

I am interested in going hiking there at some point, but first I have to get the priorities first. ;) Like seeing Crater Lake for the first time and doing those hikes within the park like Garfield Peak and Wizard Island. If I ever do more trips in S Oregon in the future, then I may just have to check out Mountain Lakes! Or even Sky Lakes. I always get confused between the two...
- Previously ElementalFX