Union Pk (Crater Lake NP) 25-May-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Union Pk (Crater Lake NP) 25-May-2015

Post by VanMarmot » May 26th, 2015, 6:35 am

Union Peak is a strikingly pointy peak on the W side of Crater Lake Nat'l Park that's both a fun hike and an amazing viewpoint. We first did it in the Fall of 2012 (CLNP TR) and got to wondering if this year's abysmal snow level would let us do it earlier as simply a hike. Plus the low pressure area that had been plaguing us for the last 2 weeks had finally moved E and sunshine had returned! So off we went...

The first 2 mi or so are along the PCT through an avenue of tall trees, with only an occassional snow patch or fallen tree to clamber over or around.

At the 2 mi mark, we came to the PCT / Union Pk trail junction and headed SW, first following the somewhat faint trail and then, after it started disappearing under larger and larger snow patches, striking off XC up the peak's NE ridge. After about 4.5 mi, we came out on the ridge just below the peak, for views of what seemed like an unusually number of contrails (holiday travel?),

Mt Bailey (left) and Diamond Pk (right),

and the E face of Union Pk directly in front of us.

By this point, we had regained the trail and were able to follow it up around the S side of the peak, with views E toward the peaks surrounding Crater Lake,

and those - like Mt McLoughlin - to the S.

The trail was largely clear of snow up past the narrow section,

but then disappeared under steep snow about halfway to the summit.

But it was pretty easy to simply cut to the left (S) here and scramble up a series of snow-free ledges

to the summit, for views of Pelican Butte (P), Devils Pk (D), Lucifer (L), and McLoughlin (M) to the south,

the huge brown burned areas from the 2008 Lonesome Creek Complex fire to the SW,

and the peaks of Crater Lake (Mt Scott on the far right) to the E, with Mt Thielsen (arrow) in the distance.

After lunch on the summit, it was back down the ledges,

past some pasque flowers just getting started,

to the TH. A moderate (11 mi RT, 1600' EG) but really fun hike/scramble with big views! :D And we got to visit one of our beloved national parks too! :D Win, win!

bobcat

Re: Union Pk (Crater Lake NP) 25-May-2015

Post by bobcat » May 26th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Good to see a report on Union Peak and a trail "away from" the Lake! Extraordinary views!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 27th, 2015, 11:27 am

Really beautiful! I had no idea there was a trail to the summit -- that's great to know! I've admired Union Peak many times from the Crater Lake side. It's enough of a horn that it didn't dawn on me that a trail to the top existed… cool!

Love the shots looking south over the Sky Lakes area -- yet another that I've never explored but looks so intriguing.

The contrail quilt is impressive, too..! :D

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 27th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Splintercat wrote:Really beautiful! I had no idea there was a trail to the summit -- that's great to know! I've admired Union Peak many times from the Crater Lake side. It's enough of a horn that it didn't dawn on me that a trail to the top existed… cool!

Love the shots looking south over the Sky Lakes area -- yet another that I've never explored but looks so intriguing.

The contrail quilt is impressive, too..! :D

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)
Thanks! Two other good points abput this trail - aside from the unique view - (1) the TH is inside the park but before the S entrance station so it's free and (2) the TH is well away from the crowds & RVs up at the lake / lodge. Win, win...