Stayed at Pechuck this weekend

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat7677

Stayed at Pechuck this weekend

Post by bobcat7677 » May 24th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Stayed two nights at Pechuck Lookout this weekend. As others have noted, no snow up there. Very odd for this early in the season. The weather was not cooperative, drizzle and thick fog, but I enjoyed my time away and was thankful to have a dry place! The rat problem persists, if I go up there again any time soon I will bring some DCON. Someone else had put some out but it's gone and I think more rats got in somehow. I think they must crawl up the rock walls and get in through the cupola somehow. But the sleeping benches get you off the floor and then the rats dont bother you. Trail was clear to the lookout, but some large trees have fallen across the trail down to the spring. I didn't know there was a spring there so I brought all the water I would need anyway. Had a father with his three sons come up on a day hike on Saturday but otherwise I was all alone up there...guessing it might have been busier if the weather was good. Hiked over to Rooster Rock before heading down the mountain. There were a couple trees over that trail and it was so foggy that I wasn't actually able to see Rooster rock...oh well, worth a shot anyway:) Other positives: the trilliums were blooming everywhere and there were some other purple flowers that I didn't know. Also there were still some rhododendrons in bloom.

Zia

Re: Stayed at Pechuck this weekend

Post by Zia » May 24th, 2015, 9:15 pm

bobcat7677 wrote:Stayed two nights at Pechuck Lookout this weekend. As others have noted, no snow up there. Very odd for this early in the season. The weather was not cooperative, drizzle and thick fog, but I enjoyed my time away and was thankful to have a dry place! The rat problem persists, if I go up there again any time soon I will bring some DCON. Someone else had put some out but it's gone and I think more rats got in somehow. I think they must crawl up the rock walls and get in through the cupola somehow. But the sleeping benches get you off the floor and then the rats dont bother you. Trail was clear to the lookout, but some large trees have fallen across the trail down to the spring. I didn't know there was a spring there so I brought all the water I would need anyway. Had a father with his three sons come up on a day hike on Saturday but otherwise I was all alone up there...guessing it might have been busier if the weather was good. Hiked over to Rooster Rock before heading down the mountain. There were a couple trees over that trail and it was so foggy that I wasn't actually able to see Rooster rock...oh well, worth a shot anyway:) Other positives: the trilliums were blooming everywhere and there were some other purple flowers that I didn't know. Also there were still some rhododendrons in bloom.
I was just there today. Did a nearly 17 mile trip from the Table Rock trail head. Drizzle and thick clouds all morning until about 2 pm and then the sky's opened up to a beautiful afternoon.

romann

Post by romann » May 25th, 2015, 7:04 pm

I don't think leaving rat poison in the lookout is a good idea. It may kill someones dog, even if the dog finds a dead rat after poison is gone.

At least, please put a really visible sign on the door, if you do.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 12th, 2015, 5:46 am

yeah, probably bad idea to leave rat poison

Most likely mice, not rats. They're all over the wilderness. They eat stuff and other things eat them.

and welcome :)