Hardy Ridge and Phlox Point (5/2/2015)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjuliana

Hardy Ridge and Phlox Point (5/2/2015)

Post by mjuliana » May 3rd, 2015, 10:22 pm

Woke-up Saturday morning to overcast skies but with the forecast calling for sunny skies in the afternoon, I headed out to the Gorge. Destination: Hardy Ridge and Phlox Point. It was to be a solo affair as Ben was putting plans in place to go see the new Avenger movie that came out on Friday. :D I don't think he could stand the fact that his younger sister saw it before he did. :D :D

Judging by the full parking lot at Multnomah Falls, 'twas a popular day to be out in the Gorge. I didn't know that the eastbound entrance has a gate that they close when the lot is full. Needless to say, it was down...I wonder what Dog Mountain was like?? Probably a little different than the meager 25 cars at the equestrian TH in Beacon Rock State Park when I arrived at a very leisurely 11:45.

I did the loop as described in the field guide and didn't see another soul until I got to the trail out to Phlox Point. Even better, no horses! Not even signs (poop) of any horses having been there recently. :D Hiking up on the old jeep roads was pleasant enough. Felt a lot better climbing than I did two weeks ago on Rock of Ages. Granted it's nowhere as steep as ROA. There were not a lot of views going up but there were occasional glimpses of Table Mountain to the east through the trees.

At the 4-way junction at the top of the ridge, things really started to rock. The views just opened up in all directions. Wow. Very cool. I love being up high and getting these type of grand vista views. Mt Hood was framed perfectly to the south, I was looking down on Hamilton, Table Mountain was seen to the east, Bonneville Dam down on the river, Wind Mountain and Dog Mountain way to the east. Plus... Mt Adams and Mt Rainer to boot. What more can you ask for? Some wildflowers? Heck yea, had some of those too. Not in great abundance but enough to add some color.

On the return, I turned right at the 4-way junction to come down the western connector trail. Where does the middle one go? Looks like maybe it goes down the ridge a bit and then connects up to the eastside connector??? As far as I could tell, I was the only person who came down via the western connector. I'm guessing that is because it's not in any of the guide books yet. It was great to have the solitude - at least when the shotguns weren't going off to the west. Is there a gun club out there somewhere or a quarry? Lots of pops would go off from time to time.

All and all, great day to be out and about. Blue skies, enough clouds to add interest, and not too much wind! Definitely recommend this hike on a clear day.

Looking North up to Phlox Point

Mt Hood to the south

Looking East with Wind Mountain and Dog Mountain in the distance

I need to get better at identifying wildflowers as I have no clue...

This one I know...Indian Paintbrush

More flowers...what are the purple ones?

Rainer's should peeking over the ridge...

Table Mountain

Looking towards the north

To the south with Bonneville Dam, Hamilton Mountain and Mt Hood

Mt Hood...again...

Bonneville

Old Hitching post...

Bonneville

8.5 miles of 2300' of EG.
http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=4243&w=645&h=440
Thanks,
Mike J

kaltbluter

Re: Hardy Ridge and Phlox Point (5/2/2015)

Post by kaltbluter » May 4th, 2015, 5:03 am

mjuliana wrote: I need to get better at identifying wildflowers as I have no clue...
This one is a Trillium.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 4th, 2015, 7:44 am

kaltbluter wrote:
mjuliana wrote: I need to get better at identifying wildflowers as I have no clue...
This one is a Trillium.
Okay...I have only associated trillium with white flowers. Comes in purple too.
Thanks,
Mike J

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » May 4th, 2015, 7:51 am

We did this hike in March attempting to maximize our nearly running out Discovery Pass on a new-to-us trail and totally enjoyed the views.
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 4th, 2015, 8:31 am

rainrunner wrote:We did this hike in March attempting to maximize our nearly running out Discovery Pass on a new-to-us trail and totally enjoyed the views.
Ann
I remember your TR. Seeing your photos helped make up my mind that this one was worth doing.

Annual Discovery Pass - remember to write your license plate # on it!. There are spots for two vehicles. When I bought mine a couple of months ago, I was evidently in our car. It's license plate was noted on the 1st line and the 2nd spot was left blank. On Saturday, I took the van. Needless to say, when I got out, there was an extra piece of paper (citation) on my windshield noting that the plate # was not written on the pass. Luckily it was 4:45 so I stopped by park headquarters to take care of this. Just had to write the license plate # on the the pass. So...make sure you fill them out! Fine would have be $99.
Thanks,
Mike J

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 4th, 2015, 10:10 am

Greg and I were up there on Saturday too! We did the loop clockwise, opposite of you, so I wonder if we passed each other?

We couldn't believe our luck at the lack of wind. It was actually pleasant enough to hang out up on the ridge. What a rare treat! :D Greg did this hike a few years back and the wind was so bad he could barely stand up. But on Saturday we could stand for many moments at a time gazing at the view:

Where does the middle one go? Looks like maybe it goes down the ridge a bit and then connects up to the eastside connector??? As far as I could tell, I was the only person who came down via the western connector. I'm guessing that is because it's not in any of the guide books yet.
The whole 8.5-mile loop is in the newest edition of Sullivan's book. Those are the directions we followed and they were perfect. As for that middle trail, I think it just peters out. The western connector is a lot better than it was from what I've read. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that before the WTA created the current iteration of the trail, you just had to follow a steep brushy skid path, remnants of which are still very visible from the trail. Thanks, WTA! :D
More flowers...what are the purple ones?
Those are phlox. Couldn't believe how many of them were up there!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 4th, 2015, 10:43 am

justpeachy wrote:Greg and I were up there on Saturday too! We did the loop clockwise, opposite of you, so I wonder if we passed each other?
Those are phlox. Couldn't believe how many of them were up there!
Thanks for the flower ID. What time were you coming down?
Yeh...the westside connector is in great shape. Made it into a nice loop. Ditto on the thanks to WTA!
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 4th, 2015, 11:08 am

mjuliana wrote:Okay...I have only associated trillium with white flowers. Comes in purple too.
That's just the "spent" version. They start white, and fade to purple.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 4th, 2015, 11:39 am

What time were you coming down?
We left the ridge about 2:45 or so.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 4th, 2015, 11:56 am

justpeachy wrote:
What time were you coming down?
We left the ridge about 2:45 or so.
We were definitely on the ridge at the same time. I got up there a little after two and left about 3:15 or so. I had my camera on a small tripod taking photos. Were you having a snack towards the south end of the ridge? If so, I mumbled something to you about a great spot for a snack.
Thanks,
Mike J