Sister Rocks via Observation Peak Trail 4/18/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Sister Rocks via Observation Peak Trail 4/18/15

Post by meana39 » April 18th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Decided to give Observation Peak a try and headed to the trailhead mentioned here in the field guides. What I call "The back way" I'd went February 15th with my husband and we encountered ZERO snow so today I was on my own.

The trailhead is a 45 minute drive from my home in Carson. The road isn't too bad, a couple of trees down that weren't before, but nothing that couldn't be avoided. I even encountered a little bit of snow!

I headed up the trail about 10 am along with one of the 3 people I would see all day. He was definitely much faster than I am, actually most everyone is faster than me!

Near the beginning of my hike, I love the forest!
a1.jpg
Finally found some snow!
a4.jpg
Viewpoint at approximately the 1 mile point.
a6.jpg
a9.jpg
So after making it here to the viewpoint, I knew I had to go down, down, down and then up, up, and more up, to Observation Peak. But since I'd just done Angel's Rest yesterday, my legs were telling me differently. Plus I have a half-marathon I signed up for tomorrow, so, I decided to see where that little sign would take me to Sister Rock.
b.jpg
My first view of Sister Rock
b2.jpg
Okay, so I'm supposed to climb up that? I'm terribly afraid of heights, but really wanted to see the view. So I mustered up what bravery I could find and headed up, one step at a time.
b3.jpg
It wasn't so bad and the view was totally worth it! My kids weren't even there to see my bravery!
b5.jpg
b6.jpg
b8.jpg
b9.jpg
c2.jpg
It was a nice peaceful hike, I didn't kill myself completely and I got some super cool views and a great spot in the sun to enjoy my lunch. What more could I ask for?
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Naturebat

Re: Sister Rocks via Observation Peak Trail 4/18/15

Post by Naturebat » April 18th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Great trip report! Thanks for the snow update! We'll be most likely hiking this hike in a few weeks. :)
- Previously ElementalFX

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » April 19th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Nice TR! My wife and I took a quick trip to Sister Rocks and really enjoyed ourselves. It's a great view and a fun place to hang out on a nice afternoon.

Thanks for posting. :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 19th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Lucky you, that whole area is practically in your back yard! :)

Only been to Sister Rock once and it wasn't as clear a day as you had but Curious Gorge says the view is better than Observation Pt, IIRC...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 19th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Nice! That is a hike I've wanted to do so thanks for the TR and the photos.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

meana39

Post by meana39 » April 21st, 2015, 3:13 am

Thank you everyone! It would be pretty easy to do in conjunction with the Observation Peak trail too as it's only a little over half a mile off of that trail, so wouldn't add too much mileage. If I hadn't been so tired I might have done both. I'm trying to add trails I've never done before this year. The field guide here is wonderful for finding those!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 22nd, 2015, 7:41 am

Crazy good view from up there, nice outing
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.