Badger Creek overnight - March 26-27, 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Aimless

Badger Creek overnight - March 26-27, 2015

Post by Aimless » March 30th, 2015, 9:37 am

Just a brief trip report on Badger Creek trail on the east side of Badger Creek Wilderness. I was lucky enough to do an overnight hike there on the two nicest days of the year so far. It's just far enough from the metro area that it doesn't attract a lot of day hikers from Portland. It is popular with the locals, but the nearest town of any size is The Dalles, 50 road miles away.

First, the access roads are mostly excellent if you arrive via FR 48, to FR 4810, to FR 4811, and then FR 2710. The first three roads on that list are paved. The last one is in fine shape, apart from the final quarter mile where it traverses a steep hillside on its way down from a ridge top to the creek bottom. That last bit is narrow enough you don't want to meet another vehicle on it. On the whole, it's all very passenger car friendly. There's a 7 site campground, Bonney Crossing, a hundred yards from the trailhead that is open year round **(see note below) and run by the Forest Service rather than a concessionaire.

The trailhead has a small parking area, good for about 4 cars. It's at 2100 ft. The trail starts out staying close to the creek, in an open dry land forest of mostly pines and oaks for most of the first 4 miles and gains elevation very gradually. On this stretch there are numerous campsites, but all of them are very public to the trail, sited in the narrow strip between the trail and the creek.
Badger Creek.jpg
Just beyond the 4 mile mark, the trail takes its lone set of switchbacks to climb away from the creek in order to top a rise. From here on the trail stays a bit further from the creek itself, visiting it now and then, but it is always within earshot. The forest changes here, too, as the transition to a somewhat higher and wetter zone introduces more undergrowth and you leave behind the oaks for more hemlocks. There are many more downed trees on the forest floor, too.

I made my camp near the junction with Post Camp Trail, the first trail to join the Badger Creek trail at about the 7.5 mile mark. There was a very large obvious and overused campsite just past this junction, but I chose to track down the Post Camp trail toward the creek (where there is a bridge) and chose a smaller site a minute's walk from the bridge. This is at about 3300 feet elevation.

The next morning I took a quick walk up the trail, maybe a half mile past the next trail junction with the Badger Cutoff trail. The trail up there was a bit rougher, narrower and less maintained, but still entirely passable. This photo shows the worst bit I saw. It was short.
rough trail.jpg
I returned to camp, packed up and headed down. The sky was so blue and the air so warm I had to pinch myself to remember it was still March. The bugs were very few and just starting to hatch out. I saw no mosquitos. I did see one tick. The undergrowth was only showing tiny buds and leaves. But spring was definitely springing. Snow? Not even a memory of it in the places I saw.

**Note: I should explain that by "open year round" I mean Bonney Crossing campground is ungated and campers are welcome to camp there even when no services are being provided, as for example toilet paper being replenished in the vault toilets. A fee is charged only when those services are in effect - during the summer months.
Last edited by Aimless on April 8th, 2015, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Re: Badger Creek overnight - March 26-27, 2015

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2015, 10:54 am

Were you attacked by the Goshawk? It kept knocking my hat off.

Thanks for the report. I'm thinking about going up there.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 30th, 2015, 11:01 am

The Goshawk was nowhere to be seen. Wikipedia says the Northern Goshawk "is mainly resident, but birds from colder regions migrate south for the winter." It may just be too early for it to be nesting up there, yet.

I would be more concerned to keep an eye out for ticks on the lower trail right now.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2015, 11:24 am

I just put permethrin on my gaiters :D

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 30th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Good idea! But ticks like to crawl up into bushes, then out onto the twig ends, and wait for something like a deer or a person to brush past, so they can grab a ride.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2015, 2:36 pm

brush brushes against my gaiters more than anything else, they go above my calf

I try not to brush against things above there

And they could hitch a rid on my boots, but hopefully they will then crawl up to my gaiters and then bail

drm

Post by drm » March 30th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I haven't seen that goshawk in years.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 30th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Great report on a great Wilderness.
Thanks for posting. Brought back good memories.
I did that exact hike as a dayhike while car camping last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2015, 7:30 pm

I saw the goshawk 4/28/2012

Maybe safe now

Maybe she'll be back in a month?

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 30th, 2015, 7:42 pm

The coast was clear last year.
No attacks from above :)