Kerby Peak (S Oregon) 10-Feb-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Kerby Peak (S Oregon) 10-Feb-2015

Post by VanMarmot » February 11th, 2015, 8:13 am

We've been down here on the outer edges of the empire for a couple of months now and have been hiking mostly around the wonderfully buccolic Applegate Valley or in the southern Rogue River Valley (Soda Mountain Wilderness). So this TR represents (1) our first hike under the Oregon Hikers imprimateur (here's our very unofficial version),

and our first hike in the Illinois River Valley - which is the valley W of the Applegate (SW of Grants Pass). We decided to start with the short (but steep) Kerby Peak trail (BLM Kerby Pk, Kerby Pk) because it promised views - which came about even on what was an unexpectedly overcast day - and a glimpse at the Brewer spruce, which is found only in this region. This is hike #69 in the Falcon Guide Hiking in Southern Oregon.

The trail, which curiously doesn't appear on any topo maps, is nonetheless well-maintained and easy to follow. It starts with a series of switchbacks through an oak / madrone forest,

and into a mostly fir forest.

This region has little pockets of droopy-limbed Brewer spruce,

and is just NW of the Brewer Spruce Research Natural Area (USFS Brewer spruce), so we may have caught a glimpse of one of these rare trees. After an invigorating mile or so of "up", the trail crossed a saddle with a view into the fog-shrouded Illinois River valley.

It then contoured around to the E, which gave us views of snow-capped Mounts McLoughlin and Thielsen,

then started climbing again. A series of storms went through here recently but they left only about 2" of fresh snow above 5,000'.

There were a few sun-break sucker holes in the clouds and once the Loved One saw her shadow, there was hope that we'd have a little more winter (or at least snow).

The summit of Kerby is a rocky outcropping, with certain Easter Island-like qualities,

and increasingly expansive views.

Finally, the summit and a snack, with the Red Buttes on the far horizon.

The summit used to host a lookout, which was burned down in 1966, presumably (per the BLM) to prevent the spread of a communicable disease. Apparently the LO was not vaccinated and there were huge crowds of people on the summit back in the day. :?:

Despite the overcast, we did catch some views to the NE of peaks that stood out because of their snow cover (M, McLoughlin, C, Crater Lake, D, Diamond ?, B, Bailey ?, T, Thielsen, S, South Sister). Peakfinder.org identified almost every bump we could see except these snow-covered ones.

Grayback was a reassuring presence to the E.

And then it was back down, through shaggy forests,

past yawning clear-cuts,

to the TH. A good little hike (6.4 mi, 2,676' EG) with great views despite the overcast (and hence likely to have awesome views on a clear day).

Last edited by VanMarmot on April 11th, 2016, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Re: Kerby Peak (S Oregon) 10-Feb-2015

Post by Splintercat » February 12th, 2015, 7:10 am

Excellent report, Van! Another beautiful spot in my own state that I'd never heard of before! Keep 'em coming... :)

Back when I worked for a local nursery/landscaping company in high school and college, Brewer's Spruce were coveted as ornamental trees - and they were spendy, too, because the are slow-growing in cultivation and don't respind well to comercial fertilizer. A 6-foot tree in ball and burlap back in the 70s was around $90, at a time when you could buy a fancy Japanese maple for $30.

Looking at your distant Cascade skyline key, I'm thinking Diamond might be the peak labeled as S. Sister, and the B/D peaks are the Crater Lake high spots, and the "C" might be the high points in Sky Lakes..?

Thanks for posting, Van!

Tom :-)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » February 12th, 2015, 7:32 am

Love all the S. Oregon reports and the logo OH!
Woodswalker

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » February 12th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Love the fog shot of the Illinois Valley. I have spent way too little time down there so it will be nice to see more TR's from the area...
Thanks,
Mike J

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 12th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Great find on the Brewer spruce! As Tom indicated, there are probably far more in gardens (here and around the world) than in the wild.

Yes, the USFS obviously dropped the ball big time when it didn't vaccinate its lookouts at the time they were all little kids back in the 1930s. They all had to be put down in the '60s for fear of a vicious outbreak.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 13th, 2015, 8:27 am

mjuliana wrote:Love the fog shot of the Illinois Valley. I have spent way too little time down there so it will be nice to see more TR's from the area...
Thanks! I thought your recent photos of Hamiliton had a really nice tone & texture that gave me a new look at an old favorite.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 13th, 2015, 8:30 am

Splintercat wrote:Looking at your distant Cascade skyline key, I'm thinking Diamond might be the peak labeled as S. Sister, and the B/D peaks are the Crater Lake high spots, and the "C" might be the high points in Sky Lakes..?

Thanks for posting, Van!

Tom :-)
After doing some plotting (on the map, that is), I'm inclined to go with your view that S is really Diamond. But the Sky Lakes are to the right (S) of McLoughlin, so I'm not sure what C really is. Maybe on a clearer day all will be revealed?